Subject: RE: [nemo] Re: Sub-optimal Terminology

From: "Pascal Thubert \(pthubert\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:27:34 +0100

>>
>
>My attempt at one, to close this promptly:
>
>        A pinball route refers to the non-direct path taken by packets
>        sent between a MNN and a CN which is routed through one on more
>        home agents.

[<PT>] I like this. It could refer to why packets are bouncing all over
the Internet, because of the nested NEMO. What do you think of:

       A pinball route refers to the non-direct path taken by packets, 
       which are routed via one on more Home Agents, as they transit
       between a MNN in a nested NEMO and a correspondent.

>
>If necessary, the following sentence may be appended to add more
flavor:
>
>        A packet following a pinball route would appear like a ball
>        bouncing off one or more home agents before reaching its final
>        destination.
>

[<PT>] This is neat :)

Pascal

---

From: Chan-Wah Ng <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:18:16 +0800

>        between a MNN in a nested NEMO and a correspondent.

The question is whether we want to restrict "pinball route" to nested
NEMO, or generalize it to include the so-called "triangular routing" as
well.  If you want a general term, than I would modify Pascal's
definition to look a bit more like mine:

       A pinball route refers to the non-direct path taken by packets, 
       which are routed via one or more Home Agents, as they transit
       between a Mobile Network Node and a Correspondent Node.

By the way, use "pinball" or "pin-ball" as you see fit, but I think
"pinball" is the prevalent one.

/rgds
/cwng

---

From: Masafumi Watari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 18:07:54 +0900

>        between a Mobile Network Node and a Correspondent Node.

The term should not be limited to nested topology, so this fits better
I think.

>>>       bouncing off one or more home agents before reaching its final

I suggest we keep it.

watari