Subject: RE: [nemo] Re: RO for geographically dist'd HAs

From: "Pascal Thubert \(pthubert\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 03:24:08 +0200

and thus cut the cost of the MRHA path.
>>
>> On top of that, the concept of proxy Home Agent introduced in global
>> HAHA is designed for infrastructure-based route optimization, as
>> Chan-Wah points out.
>
>Ah, terminology... A "proxy HA"?  Is a "proxy HA" run Proxy-MIP?

[Pascal] Confusing isn't it? There's a chapter about it, to avoid
confusion between the PMIP function in NETLMM and global HAHA's proxy.
Those beasts are compatible and could be collocated but they play a
different game. See:

4.  A proxy for Mobile IP

   The draft references extensively a MIP proxy HA function.  The word
   proxy, here, is taken in a classical sense, like, for instance, a web
   proxy: a MIP proxy Home Agent acts as a HA for the MN and as a MN for
   the HA, the CN, and other proxies.  In particular, the MIP proxy
   terminates the MR-HA tunnel and the associated encryption, extracts
   the packets, and reencapsulates them to the destination.

   This differs from a proxy-MIP function, which performs the Mobile
   Node operation on behalf of a non MIP-enabled node, in order to
   manage its mobility transparently.

Pascal

---

From: "Pascal Thubert \(pthubert\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 03:24:06 +0200

>as i mention, these may be excelent design choices and the resulting
>features may be what the wg needs. But what we need to understand at
>this point is what is the goal of global HAHA, RO or HA reliability?
>
>If it is HA reliability, probably this work would need to be carried
>out in the mip6 wg, where they are working on the HA reliability topic
>
>If it is RO, we should consider global HAHA as any other RO proposal,
>and we need to analyze the whole RO problem together, so i don't see
>any reason why include it in the charter as a separate item
>
>
[Pascal] Hi Marcelo,

Maybe being able to distribute the HA is a goal in itself, and the main
reason for doing so on a global scale is a shorter path between the
mobile nodes; so global HAHA is more of a RO thing than a high
availability thing. In the partitioned deployment that we elaborate on,
a site is primary for a range of prefixes, and thus the site should not
die. If you want to duplicate a site, you need to sync the copies with
local HAHA.

Pascal

---

From: "Pascal Thubert \(pthubert\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 03:24:08 +0200

4.  A proxy for Mobile IP

Pascal