Subject: [MEXT] [mext] #13: Home Link Detection [Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>]

From: "mext" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 18:00:58 -0000

Ticket #13: Home Link Detection  [Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>]

 Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>   [edited by CEP]

 The WG had consensus to fold in text from draft-krishnan-mext-hld
 into rfc3775bis. Here is the proposed text for doing so.

 [This change to be made in a new (sub)section called "Home Link
 Detection"]

 OLD TEXT
 ========
    A mobile node detects that it has returned to its home link through
    the movement detection algorithm in use (Section 11.5.1), when the
    mobile node detects that its home subnet prefix is again on-link.

 NEW TEXT
 ========
    When an MN detects that it has arrived on a new link using the
    movement detection algorithm in use (Section 11.5.1) it performs the
    following steps to determine if it is on the home link.

 {{{
 #!html
 <UL>
 <LI>  The MN performs the procedure described in Section 11.5.2 and
       configures an address referred to as the Current MN Address (CMA).
       It also stores all the on-link prefix(es) received in the RA along
       with their prefix lengths in a conceptual list called the Current
       Link Prefix List (CLPL).

 </UL>
 }}}

 {{{
 #!html
 <UL>
 <LI>  If the home prefix has been statically pre-configured on the MN
       it checks if the home prefix matches one of the prefixes in the
       CLPL. If it does, the MN concludes that it has returned home.

 </UL>
 }}}

 {{{
 #!html
 <UL>
 <LI>  If the home prefix has not been statically configured the MN uses
       some form of bootstrapping procedure (e.g. RFC5026) to determine
       the home prefix. It then checks if the home prefix matches one of
       the prefixes in the CLPL. If it does, the MN concludes that it has
       returned home.

 </UL>
 }}}

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------

 "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>

 I would like to suggest a
 textual revision and simplification.  Most of the revision
 relies on pointing out that one has to get a home network
 prefix before using it to compare against the list of
 prefixes received in the RA.  The other revision, which
 I hope is O.K., is to dispense with creating the new
 acronyms CMA and CLPL.  I am biased against having
 acronyms that are not used elsewhere in the document.

 Here is my result:

 NEW TEXT
 ========

 Section 11.5.X   Home Link Detection

   When an MN detects that it has arrived on a new link using the
   movement detection algorithm in use (Section 11.5.1x) it performs the
   following steps to determine if it is on the home link.

 {{{
 #!html
 <UL>
 <LI>   The MN performs the procedure described in Section 11.5.2x and
      configures an address.    It also keeps track of all the on-link
 prefix(es)
      received in the RA along with their prefix lengths.

 </UL>
 }}}

 {{{
 #!html
 <UL>
 <LI>  If the home prefix has not been statically configured the MN uses
       some form of bootstrapping procedure (e.g. RFC5026) to determine
       the home prefix.

 </UL>
 }}}

 {{{
 #!html
 <UL>
 <LI>  Given the availability of the home prefix, the MN checks whether or
       not the home prefix matches one of the prefixes received in the RA.
       If it does, the MN concludes that it has returned home.

 </UL>
 }}}

 ================================================

 It is also a bit tricky to determine where to locate this new section.
 The current organization of section 11.5 is as follows:

 {{{
     11.5. Movement  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 123
       11.5.1. Movement Detection  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 123
       11.5.2. Forming New Care-of Addresses . . . . . . . . . 125
       11.5.3. Using Multiple Care-of Addresses  . . . . . . . 126
       11.5.4. Returning Home  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 127
 }}}

 After reading through the text, I think the new subsection would
 fit best after the current 11.5.1, making it a new subsection 11.5.2.

----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]       |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                      |      Status:  new                  
 Priority:  major                       |   Milestone:                       
Component:  draft-ietf-mext-rfc3775bis  |     Version:                       
 Severity:  Active WG Document          |    Keywords:  Home Link Detection  
----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
-- 
Ticket URL: <http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/wg/mext/trac/ticket/13>
mext <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/mext/>
_______________________________________________
MEXT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext