Subject: [MEXT] [RFC3375bis] Expected BU format and processing / associated impacts

From: [email-masked] (Arnaud Ebalard)
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 21:39:22 -0800

Hi,

First, sorry for the late post, just before the deadline (Dec 05).

While studying the impacts of MIPv6 Home Link Detection mechanism in
IPsec environments [1], I spent some time carefully rereading the
associated reference documents (3775, 3776, 4877, ...).

>From that reading, I came to the conclusion that the various possible
formats allowed for the BU (when on a foreign network, at home, for
deregistration or not, ...) and the way BU should be processed by the HA
leave room for interoperability issues and possibly threats. This
includes handling of AltCoA option and also HAO/RH2. 

I think the spec is too lose on those topics and rfc3775bis could be a
good opportunity to make things clearer/tighter for implementors on
*some* of those points. 

[1] is a work in progress (read 'raw material'), extracted from a bigger
document, which explains the unusual format (pdf) and the fact I have
currently not found the time to perform some of the tests I intend to do
(on existing implementations). Read it with some salt.

Anyway, I'd be interested if some among you could take a look at the
document and see if some of the points raised could be handled in the
context of rfc377bis (appendices contains the interesting quotes from
the reference documents).

Better stated explicitly: I don't expect the "Home Link Detection threat
in IPsec environment" topic covered in the doc to be discussed or solved
in the context of rfc3775bis.

Comments welcome,

Cheers,

a+

[1]: http://rfc.1924.fr/ipsec-hld-threats.pdf
_______________________________________________
MEXT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext