Subject: NETCONF protocol IANA considerations & capability URNs

From: "Rob Enns" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:07:27 -0700

Here is a proposed IANA considerations section for the NETCONF
protocol draft. Also, while working through the various RFCs
3553 and 3688 I realized that the capability URNs shown in the
NETCONF protocol draft are incorrect. 

The URNs currently have the form:

urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:capability:{name}:1.0

This says that the capability is an XML namespace as defined
by RFC 3688. Strictly speaking, that is incorrect.

The capability URNs should really be a NETCONF protocol 
parameter a la RFC 3553. Something like:

urn:ietf:params:netconf:capability:{name}:1.0

If the WG approves, I will make this change to the protocol draft.

Here is a proposed IANA considerations section assuming the
capabilities are expressed as shown above. Please comment.

----

10.  IANA Considerations

10.1.  NETCONF XML Namespace

   This document requests that IANA assign a URI for the NETCONF XML
   namespace in the IETF XML registry [8].

   Following the format in RFC 3688, the following registration is
   requested.

   URI: Please assign the URI "urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf" for use
   by the NETCONF protocol.

   Registrant Contact: The IESG.

   XML: This document.

10.2.  NETCONF XML Schema

   This document requests that IANA assign a URI for the NETCONF XML
   namespace in the IETF XML registry [8].

   Following the format in RFC 3688, the following registration is
   requested.

   URI: Please assign the URI "urn:ietf:params:xml:schema:netconf" for
   use by the NETCONF protocol.

   Registrant Contact: The IESG.

   XML: Appendix B of this document.

10.3.  NETCONF Capability URNs

   This document requests that IANA create a registry for allocating
   NETCONF capability identifiers.  Allocation from the registry is on a
   First Come First Served Basis, but a specification is required.

   The initial content of the registry will be the capability URNs
   defined in Section 8.  Once further experience is gained with
   NETCONF, this sub-namespace may be used for additional purposes.

   Following the guidelines in RFC 3553 [7], IANA is requested to assign
   a NETCONF sub-namespace as follows:

   Registry name: netconf

   Specification: This document.

   Repository: This document.

   Index value: The NETCONF capability name.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:44:18 -0700

Rob Enns wrote:

I would like to go with the new format if nobody objects.

Essentially, we are removing the "xml:ns" from this formatted string,
since it doesn't add any information and it is inconsistent with
other URN definitions.

Andy

---

From: Ted Goddard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:12:58 -0600

Do these IANA considerations also provide for placing the NETCONF schema
itself in the XML registry, such as with the conference-info XSD?

http://www.iana.org/assignments/xml-registry/schema/conference-info.xsd

http://www.iana.org/assignments/xml-registry/schema.html

Ted.