Subject: netconf roadmap?

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 15:16:23 +0200

Hello

Has there been any discussion about the steps after current
tasks have been finished? Or is this to be defined and is
defined all the time?

Regards,
Antti-Jussi Korjonen

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:25:18 -0700

> tasks have been finished? Or is this to be defined and is

Short answer:

After notifications, then NETCONF data modeling.

Long answer:

There has been a lot of discussion on this topic, although no formal
roadmap exists.  The ADs and co-Chairs want to see some deployment
of the base protocol, and use that experience to address NETCONF data 
modeling
(also called NETMOD).

There are no milestones for data modeling, and therefore no road map.

IMO, the community has not shown enough deployment or base-level 
interoperability
to plan very far into the future.  For example, experience is suggesting 
that specialized
methods need to be part of the data modeling work, using a procedural 
framework instead
of the "static + dynamic data" framework from SMI/SNMP.   There are probably
several problem areas currently unexposed in the base protocol, that 
will likely
surface in the next year.

> Antti-Jussi Korjonen

Andy