Subject: [Netconf] FW: DISCUSS: <draft-ietf-netconf-with-defaults-12.txt>

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 15:41:28 +0200

Hi Andy,

Please address the issue raised by Adrian in his DISCUSS. 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Adrian Farrel
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:16 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: DISCUSS: <draft-ietf-netconf-with-defaults-12.txt>

Discuss:
In a Discuss related to Alexey's, I am not clear about the
"requirements" placed on servers and clients in this specification. Is
the intention to say that "implementations conforming to this
sepcification" should/must do stuff. Or, as the language of the I-D
implies, "[new] implementations of Netconf" should/must do things?

The former case really needs a little clarification in the text.
The latter case implies that this I-D updates the Netconf spec.

For example:

4.3.  Conformance

   Every NETCONF server SHOULD implement this capability.

which seems to conflict in tone from...

4.1...

   A NETCONF server implementing the :with-defaults capability:

   o  MUST indicate its basic mode behavior by including the 'basic-
      mode' parameter in the capability URI, as defined in Section 4.4.
   o  MUST support the YANG module defined in Section 5.
   o  SHOULD support the 'report-all' or 'report-all-tagged' defaults
      handling mode.
   o  MAY support additional defaults handling modes.

I don't think this is a big deal, but you need to work out exactly what
you are requiring, and then make a few tweaks accordingly.