Subject: [Netconf] FW: COMMENT: <draft-ietf-netconf-with-defaults-12.txt>

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 14:43:56 +0200

Hi Andy,

Please address the issue raised by Tim in his comment. 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Tim Polk
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2010 2:05 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: COMMENT: <draft-ietf-netconf-with-defaults-12.txt>

Comment:
I could not understand the meaning of Section 2.3.1.  I suggest revising
it for symmetry with sections 2.1.1 and 2.2.1, which I thought were very
clear.  I have proposed text which is probably wrong (since I had
trouble with the current text) but at least illustrates what I am
suggesting...

OLD
   If a client sets a data node to its schema default value, it MUST
   always be reported.  If the server sets a data node to its schema
   default value, it MUST NOT be reported.  Non-configuration data nodes
   containing the schema default value MUST be reported.

NEW
   When data is retrieved from a server using the 'explicit' basic mode,
and
   the <with-defaults> parameter is not present, data nodes MUST be
   reported if explicitly set by the client, even if they contain the
schema
   default value.  Non-configuration
   data nodes containing the schema default value MUST NOT be reported.

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 09:33:16 -0700

Hi,

OK, except s/MUST NOT/MUST/.
You changed the semantics.

   When data is retrieved from a server using the 'explicit' basic mode,
   And the <with-defaults> parameter is not present, data nodes MUST be
   reported if explicitly set by the client, even if they contain the
   schema default value.  Non-configuration data nodes containing the
   schema default value MUST be reported.

Since the server explicitly sets all non-configuration data, none of it
is considered default.  Perhaps a basic mode summary would help in the 
draft, ala:

   Trim mode:
      * A default is only based on the schema default value.
   Explicit mode:
      * A default is only based on whether a value was actually set
        by the client or the server.
   Report-all:
      * There is no concept of a missing node represented by a default.
        Every node that can exist, does exist.

Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:44 AM
To: Andy Bierman
Cc: netconf
Subject: [Netconf] FW: COMMENT: <draft-ietf-netconf-with-defaults-12.txt>

 Hi Andy,

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

-----Original Message-----

Comment:

OLD

NEW

_______________________________________________
Netconf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf