Subject: [Netconf] VRF-aware call home function

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 14:02:19 +0000

Dear all,

As briefly discussed today in the NETCONF session, I believe that a 
VRF-aware call home function is useful.
This VRF-aware addition had to be done for syslog, IPFIX, etc...

Regards, Benoit (as a contributor)

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 14:07:36 +0000 (GMT)

> This VRF-aware addition had to be done for syslog, IPFIX, etc...

Can you send pointers?

/martin

---

From: David Lamparter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 15:16:11 +0100

> > This VRF-aware addition had to be done for syslog, IPFIX, etc...

Effectively, we need to specify the routing-cfg's
"routing/routing-instance/name" key along with any configured binding /
connection IP address, since the IP address alone is not an unique
identifier as soon as there's more than one routing instance / VRF.

(For those unaware of what a VRF is - netconf isn't all routers - a VRF
is simply an independent instance of the entire IP stack, with its own
routing table, and its own IP addresses, and they can overlap when
routing customer's private networks.  You can't open a socket without
specifying its VRF - that could even be a security problem - though
sometimes there's a default management VRF.)

-David

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 14:17:19 +0000

>> This VRF-aware addition had to be done for syslog, IPFIX, etc...

Let me send you some CLI, for illustration.

For syslog:

	Device(config)# logging host 10.10.10.10 vrf vpn1

For IPFIX:
	Device(config)# flow exporter MyExporter
	Device(config-flow)# destination 10.10.10.10 vrf vpn1
	Device(config-flow)# export-protocol ipfix

I'm sure you will be able to look up some documentation.

Regards, Benoit

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 14:39:12 +0000 (GMT)

> 	Device(config-flow)# export-protocol ipfix

I was looking for pointers to IETF documents, not vendor-specifics.  I
know how it is done in this product...

/martin

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 14:47:38 +0000

On 3/03/2014 14:39, Martin Bjorklund wrote:
> I was looking for pointers to IETF documents, not vendor-specifics.
And that's exactly my point. Because the VRF-aware extension was not 
introduced day one in the IETF specs (most probably because the customer 
demand was not there day one), we're left with vendor-specific extensions.

Regards, Benoit
>   I
> .

---

From: David Lamparter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 15:58:39 +0100

> know how it is done in this product...

We've gotten as far as configuring VRFs in netmod's routing-cfg, where
at some point it was determined that these had names which are strings.
And, essentially, 5.1 on netmod-routing-cfg describes this nicely.

It's just that we didn't add a reference to this name in places we have
outgoing/incoming connections modeled.

-David