Subject: [Netconf] reverse ssh document title

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 14:16:45 +0100

Hi,

the title currently is 'Reverse Secure Shell (Reverse SSH)' but since
this is only applicable to NETCONF, we may want to pick a more
descriptive title.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: "Bert Wijnen (IETF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 00:17:09 +0000

good idea

Bert

---

From: Kent Watsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 15:21:36 +0000

I agree - "Reverse Secure Shell for NETCONF" ???

While I still feel that this technique will be used for other TCP-based
protocols, the YANG module defined in ietf-kwatsen-netconf-server is
clearly NETCONF-specific (e.g. the top-level container node called
"netconf"), so now there is more than just an Applicability Statement that
makes this a NETCONF-specific solution.

Thanks,
Kent

On 3/4/14 12:17 AM, "Bert Wijnen (IETF)" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>Netconf mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf
>
>

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 17:21:25 +0100

> I agree - "Reverse Secure Shell for NETCONF" ???

Works for me.
 
> makes this a NETCONF-specific solution.

Here is the current abstract:

   This memo presents a technique for a NETCONF server to initiate a SSH
   connection to a NETCONF client.  This is accomplished by the NETCONF
   client listening on IANA-assigned TCP port YYYY and starting the SSH
   client protocol immediately after accepting a TCP connection on it.
   This role-reversal is necessary as the NETCONF server must also be
   the SSH Server, in order for the NETCONF client to open the IANA-
   assigned SSH subsystem "netconf".

This has NETCONF all over the place...

/js

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 11:22:27 +0000 (GMT)

> > I agree - "Reverse Secure Shell for NETCONF" ???

+1

There are some other places in the document that also should be made
more specific, e.g. the last paragraph in section 3 should probably be
removed:

   One key benefit of using SSH as the transport protocol is its ability
   to multiplex an unspecified number of independently flow-controlled
   TCP sessions [RFC4254].  This is valuable as the network element only
   needs to be configured to initiate a single Reverse SSH connection to
   the management system, regardless the number of TCP-based protocols
   the management system wishes to support.  For instance, in addition
   to having a SSH channel for NETCONF, the management system may "pin
   up" channels for Syslog, SNMP, or file-transfers.

The IANA-requested port's service name should be "netconf-ssh-ch" (to
align w/ 5539bis).

/martin