Subject: [Netconf] usage of HTTP in restconf-notif-07

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 19:45:18 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I think the -07 version is a step in the right direction for this
draft.  But I have a comment on the usage of HTTP/2.

I am not an expert at all in HTTP/2, but I wonder if the way this
draft uses it is correct.  The draft is very short on details, but
essentially says that the client POSTs to the "uri" that the server
returns (probably w/o a body?), and then that the server sends
individual notifications in DATA frames.  Is this really legal?  RFC
7540, section 8 says:

   HTTP/2 is intended to be as compatible as possible with current uses
   of HTTP.  This means that, from the application perspective, the
   features of the protocol are largely unchanged.  To achieve this, all
   request and response semantics are preserved, although the syntax of
   conveying those semantics has changed.

It seems to me that the restconf-notif draft violates this paragraph.

In fact, it seems that what the draft tries to do is more or less
exactly the same as SSE, except w/o the details, e.g., it doesn't
specify the content-type.

It also seems to me (after some googling) that it is perfectly fine to
use standard SSE with HTTP/2, and that's what people are using to
deliver server-generated events/notifs to clients with HTTP/2.

So, this draft should probably not mention HTTP/2 at all, but instead
just specify the semantics of the "uri" resource and how a client can
POST to it to get SSE going.  The draft should the refer to section
6.4 of RFC 8040 for how notifications are sent from this resource.

/martin

---

From: "Reshad Rahman (rrahman)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 18:24:02 +0000

Hi,

PSI.

On 2018-09-17, 1:45 PM, "Netconf on behalf of Martin Bjorklund" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    Hi,

    

<RR> Ack, HTTP semantics have to be followed, there's no reason to do otherwise. I'll check to see what details/clarifications can be added.

    

<RR> My understanding is that HTTP2 is mentioned in the draft so that we can use HTTP2 streams. The point you're making is that if this is a RESTCONF transport draft then we should just use what's in RFC8040, I'm ok with that but would like to hear from the other authors since I might be missing some history.

Regards,
Reshad.

    /martin
    
    _______________________________________________
    Netconf mailing list
    [email-masked]
    https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 21:17:52 +0200 (CEST)

"Reshad Rahman (rrahman)" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> PSI.
> 
> On 2018-09-17, 1:45 PM, "Netconf on behalf of Martin Bjorklund"
> <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>     Hi,
>     
> <RR> Ack, HTTP semantics have to be followed, there's no reason to do
> otherwise. I'll check to see what details/clarifications can be added.
>     
> <RR> My understanding is that HTTP2 is mentioned in the draft so that
> we can use HTTP2 streams. The point you're making is that if this is a
> RESTCONF transport draft then we should just use what's in RFC8040,
> I'm ok with that but would like to hear from the other authors since I
> might be missing some history.

Right.  I think that if HTTP/2 is used then a client can start any
stream it wants; we don't have to specify anything about this in this
draft.  For example, if a client doesn't want to start a new stream,
that should also be ok.

/martin

---

From: Qin Wu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 01:36:34 +0000

-----邮件原件-----
发件人: Netconf [mailto:[email-masked]] 代表 Reshad Rahman (rrahman)
发送时间: 2018年9月18日 2:24
收件人: Martin Bjorklund; [email-masked]
主题: Re: [Netconf] usage of HTTP in restconf-notif-07

Hi,

PSI.

    Hi,

    

    

[Qin]: +1, Martin speaks my word, I would also like to see restconf-notif align with RFC8040. Setup two channels for both RESTCONF and HTTP2 makes me believe RESTCONF client MUST support HTTP/2.
Regards,
Reshad.

    /martin