Subject: Re: [netlmm] Comments on draft-krishnan-netlmm-pmip-sel-00

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 09:03:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Suresh,
  In your previous mail you said EAP can not start from the MN, now you are saying no EAP?
  PMIPv6 says MN will perform access authentication during network entry and in managed networks the current technology is to use EAP. Draft-xia-netlmm-service-negotiation adds PMIP service negotiation to EAP exchange. That's it.

Regards,

Behcet

----- Original Message ----
From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
To: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 10:30:11 AM
Subject: Re: [netlmm] Comments on draft-krishnan-netlmm-pmip-sel-00

Hi Behcet,
   Removing things we agree on.

Behcet Sarikaya wrote:

> Not all link layers use EAP originating at the MN for authentication
> :-). How do we solve this problem for those?
> 
> behcet>>In the draft we did not assume such a thing. What we assume is 
> the execution of any EAP method and we added the negotiation there. So 
> there is in fact no problem to solve. We assume MN will be authenticated 
> using EAP as PMIPv6 does.

I don't think PMIPv6 assumes that EAP will be used as the authentication 
mechanism. PMIPv6 just assumes that some form of access authentication 
is used to trigger the PMIP process.

Cheers
Suresh

_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: "Jong-Hyouk Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 02:10:02 +0900

Dear colleagues.

First of all, Suresh's document (draft-krishnan-netlmm-pmip-sel-00) has
another view from draft-damic-netlmm-pmip6-ind-discover-01. As Suresh and
Damic mentioned in the previous threads,
draft-damic-netlmm-pmip6-ind-discover-01 does not provide an explicit
mobility selection way for mobile nodes (MNs). However, in Suresh's
document, an MN achieves the way by which the MN can send its own signal to
the network (e.g., MIPv6) or use PMIPv6 in the PMIPv6 domain. As my
opinition, Suresh's document gives us a much more simple way for mobility
selection.

Also, draft-ietf-netlmm-proxymip6-01 (PMIPv6 specification) assumes that EAP
is one of authentication protocols. There is no mandatory for only using EAP
as a authentication protocol. Well, actually, I agree that EAP is now
becoming a common way for authentication procedure. As you know, however,
there's more than one way to do it. :)
Cheers.

-- 
Internet Management Technology Lab, Sungkyunkwan University.
Jong-Hyouk Lee.

#email: jonghyouk (at) gmail (dot) com
#webpage: http://www.hurryon.org
_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 18:23:16 -0400

Hi Behcet,

>   In your previous mail you said EAP can not start from the MN, now you 

If EAP does not originate from the MN, the mechanism in draft-xia cannot 
be used, since the MN has no way of indicating its preference for PMIP 
or non-PMIP service.

>   PMIPv6 says MN will perform access authentication during network entry 
> and in managed networks the current technology is to use EAP. 

Not all of them.

> Draft-xia-netlmm-service-negotiation adds PMIP service negotiation to 
> EAP exchange. That's it.

I got that part. I just said there are non EAP authentication mechanisms 
out there.

Cheers
Suresh