Subject: [newprep] WG formation + name change

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:48:12 -0600

The official WG formation announcement will be sent soon.

We had a request among the IESG/IAB to change the name, because there
was a concern that "newprep" sounded like it assumed we would define an
entirely new technology instead of improving on or replacing stringprep.
However, "stringprepbis" is too long (8 char limit), so I proposed the
following:

   Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized Strings = PRECIS

As an added benefit, "précis" is the French word for "precise" and we
will need to have a lot of precision in our work. :)

Therefore when I submit the WG formation request today, it will be under
the name "PRECIS", not "NEWPREP". The Secretariat will create a new list
[email-masked] and port over the existing mailing list subscribers and
archives to the new address.

Just so you know!

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Mark Lentczner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:45:41 -0700

On Jun 11, 2010, at 10:48 AM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> the name "PRECIS", not "NEWPREP".

What irony that the name can't actually be PRÉCIS!

	- Mark

Mark Lentczner
http://www.ozonehouse.com/mark/
[email-masked]

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 12:47:53 -0600

> What irony that the name can't actually be PRÉCIS!

Not altogether unintentional. ;-)

---

From: jefsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 00:54:33 +0200

Good name! And good omen!

Let's hope we can devise a "précise" solution to support French 
orthotypography stringprep!
jfc

At 19:48 11/06/2010, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>newprep mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/newprep