Subject: [newtrk] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-bradner-ietf-stds-trk-01.txt

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:45:46 +0200

Not to waste words, I think Scott's analysis is ~correct, and we have
shifted the standards track one place left. And in fact, although that
isn't how the Problem WG described it, it is another description of the
same reality.

Unfortunately I don't quite agree that a right-shift will fix the problem
for the long term. That's why I would propose keeping the most significant
two bytes of Scott's proposal (PS and IS) but shifting the snapshot firmly
into the hands of WG Chairs (with, as I've already said, an *obligation*
on the chairs to obtain cross-area review).

   Brian
.
newtrk resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk/index.html

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 07:08:07 -0600

From: "Brian E Carpenter" <[email-masked]>
To: "New Track" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 6:45 AM
Subject: [newtrk] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-bradner-ietf-stds-trk-01.txt

> on the chairs to obtain cross-area review).

Brian, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here - are you
talking about PS as "snapshot", or are you talking about PS that's
something besides a "snapshot"?

I think you're saying something good, but I'm not sure what it is :-}

Spencer

.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:34:09 +0200

What I meant to say is: use the modified PS and IS definitions
from Scott's draft as they are, thereby abolishing DS, and give the
WG the right to declare a WG Snapshot without consulting the IESG.

I do buy the argument that this status could be conferred simply by
adding a relevant statement to the "status of this memo" section.
Such as

  The XYZ WG has reached consensus to declare this version as a
  Working Group Snapshot suitable for prototype implementation. 
  The document has been reviewed by experts in the ABC and PQR 
  Areas of the IETF.

     Brian

-- 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian E Carpenter 
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM
.
newtrk resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk/index.html