Subject: [newtrk] Some comments on WGS and ID state declaration

From: "Lars-Erik Jonsson (LU/EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 14:20:20 +0200

Folks,

I'm sorry for not responding quicker on these drafts, but now I
have finally read them. 

The WGS draft was a very good step from the previous
new-track-and-wgs-draft, as it is now focused on WGS as
something separate from the standards track, a lightweight
ID synchronization mechanism - I like it. However, I think it
would be useful to have some requirements on what a WGS release
should include when it comes to status declaration, and here I
see a clear connection to Alex draft. Just submitting an ID
with a WGS label would not help much, if that does not mean
the WG actually elaborate on the purpose of the WGS. If WGS
was a document label that always had a specific meaning, it
could maybe be useful just to release a WGS, but especially
if we want to make it multi-purpose, I believe we should
give more guidance on status and/or purpose declarations.

To Spencer: Update the STATUS OF THIS MEMO section of the WGS draft.

Looking further at Alex draft, I was first a little bit sceptical
to the formalized approach, but after reading the draft and 
thinking more about it, I tend to like it. Probably we need at
least some general and rather formalized tools to get actual
experimentation with it. However, I have the same concerns as
Spencer and Larry about the possibility to generally define the
categories, but that is something I believe we will figure out.

Personally, I do think it makes sense to have status information
in drafts, the best status we can have is the one expressed by
the author(editor), and that should reflect WG consensus (at
least that is what I believe most editors really want). If
status changes drastically, I see no problem with updating the
draft, draft version numbers are cheap. If it was a WGS release,
I believe the status should be more stable and consensus ensured
before submitting it with WGS status, right?

Cheers,
/L-E

.
newtrk resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk/index.html