Subject: [newtrk] Re: Historic (Re: List of Old Standards to be retired)

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 08:58:37 -0800 (PST)

*> 
  *> With all respect to Jon Postel - the IETF's meaning of Historic is defined 
  *> by reference to IETF consensus, not to Jon Postel's opinion.
  *> 
  *> We may be confused by different meanings of "old" - I was referring to 1994.
  *> 
  *> Shows how young I am, I guess :-)
  *> 
  *>                       Harald

Harald,

In 1994 Jon was still RFC Editor, and I believe that his opinion on
what Historic meant generally still ruled.  The definition of Historic
in RFC 2026 [I am not completely sure about this, but I believe I
originally crafted those words myself in the era of the first IAB] is
simply a crude translation of what Historic had originally meant to Jon
and to the community.  As far as I recall, that was still the consensus
(in so far as anyone cared) in 1994.

Consensus is, as always, a tricky thing to define.

(I have trimmed IETF from the CC list, to avoid boring too many people.)

Bob
.
newtrk resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk/index.html