Subject: Re: [newtrk] Re: [Old-standards] Re: List of Old Standards to be ...

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:16:38 -0500 (EST)

Brian (quoting Spencer) said:
> > Would we ever move a standard to historic just because the specification 
> > is so bad that it's unhelpful?
>
> Actually, logic would suggest moving it to Experimental, even
> though that's a forbidden transition.

from 2026:
   When a standards-track specification has not reached the Internet
   Standard level but has remained at the same maturity level for
   twenty-four (24) months, and every twelve (12) months thereafter
   until the status is changed, the IESG shall review the viability of
   the standardization effort responsible for that specification and the
   usefulness of the technology. Following each such review, the IESG
   shall approve termination or continuation of the development effort,
   at the same time the IESG shall decide to maintain the specification
   at the same maturity level or to move it to Historic status.

if we abide by the specific language above I'm not sure that a 
PS -> EXP transition is forbidden if the cruft process is being 
followed since it's not the IESG doing the cruft review and 2026 does
not limit what a non-IESG review could recommend doing

Scott
.
newtrk resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk/index.html