Subject: [newtrk] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-newtrk-repurposing-isd-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 15:54:08 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the New IETF Standards Track Discussion Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Internet Standards Documentation (ISDs)
	Author(s)	: J. Klensin, J. Loughney
	Filename	: draft-ietf-newtrk-repurposing-isd-03.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 2005-4-22
	
It has been observed that the current IETF standard designations, STD
   nnnn and BCP nnnn designation, have not worked well.  Problems have
   been found when one of them is used either as a stable reference for
   external specifications or as a combined reference for multiple
   documents linked together into a single document.  This document
   proposes two changes to these designations.  The first of these
   changes would create a new document series and assign a new number
   and acronym to a specification when it enters the first level of the
   Standards Track (or is first designated as a BCP).  The second would
   migrate the concept of STDs and BCPs numbering of RFCs into actual
   documents that detail what they identify, their publication
   information and their change history.  The document also specifies a
   set of minor standards process changes to accommodate and integrate
   the new style of doing things that is represented by the new document
   series.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-newtrk-repurposing-isd-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-newtrk-repurposing-isd-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-newtrk-repurposing-isd-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.