Subject: Re: [newtrk] My opinion of ISDs

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 17:01:12 -0400 (EDT)

Sam sed:
> I want to make it clear I realize I'm one individual.  My opinion is
> only one datapoint.  However I am part of this community and it seems
> reasonable to express an opinion when I have one.

1/ it would be a bad idea if pwople chosed for the IESG had to stop
   having opinions

2/ it would be a worse thing if IESG members used their position on the
   IESG to override community consensus (I'm not (yet) claiming that ISDs have
   that - just pointing out a structural problem that Sam's posting
   makes very clear)

Scott
.
newtrk resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk/index.html

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 16:24:29 +0200

>    that - just pointing out a structural problem that Sam's posting

Since you raise it, Scott, let me add one thing. I personally put ISDs
on the agenda of the IESG retreat in April, and asked the authors and
you to supply slideware, precisely so that the IESG could join the
discussion before we got close to Last Call - I believe it is *much*
better that we are having this discussion now rather than as part of
an IETF Last Call or IESG Review process - but of course that means
that you will hear IESG member's individual opinions.

    Brian

.

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 12:19:58 -0400 (EDT)

I agree - thanks for doing that, I do think it helped

--

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 16:24:29 +0200

Brian

.