Subject: [newtrk] Session chair summary - Decruft

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 13:32:01 +0200

My summary (disclaimers apply):

- The sense of the room is that it wants the document sent to the IESG for 
a Last Call on a standards action that would move the 56 documents (or 
whatever remains of them after Last Call comments) to Historic

- There is still fear that the Last Call will generate significant noise 
and work for the community, with little benefit

- We will learn whether that's true by trying it

Eliot will prepare a new version with this recommendation, and ask for a WG 
Last Call on it.

.
newtrk resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk/index.html

---

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 17:08:53 +0200

W.r.t. to Eliots's question:
> > That is why I was in favor of the "do nothing" option when 
> > Harald asked at the meeting in Paris last Friday.
> 
> Yes, and I was confused by this.  Why not update 2026 to remove the
> time-outs to document existing practice?
> 

In principle I am in favor of removing that.
But (as with so many process related issues and document proposals),
that opens a complete different can of worms. Namely:
- if 2026 gets opened at all, then we have a loooooong list of things
  that people want to change. And that will take also vert loooooong.
- if we add just another short doc to state that the particular
  paragraph, then that just adds to the set of document/updates
  and that just makes our "patchwork or quilt of process BCPs"
  just larger.
- It seems we needs serious effort to review our complete set
  of process BCPs and merge them in a reasonably small set
  of modular documents (well thought out and all that).  
  That is a serious effort and is not for NEWTRK to do I think.

So I am not against getting work started to re-do our process BCPs
but I do object that NEWTRK undertakes a very small piece of it,
which seems simple enough, but as experience (take IPR as an example)
has shown us: even the simplest thing in that space takes ages.

Hope this makes my "do nothing" choice even clearer.

Bert

> Eliot
.