Subject: Persistent file handles

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 14:33:18 -0400 (EDT)

It may be too late in the game to discuss this, but I'm finally coding away
at an implementation and spotted this.

FH4_PERSISTENT defines a file handle that exists until the object is deleted.
	It doesn't say anything about T stable (ie. continuing to refer to
	that removed object after deletion). Are FH4_PERSISTENT file handles
	meant to be T stable? (If not, should there be a separate FH
	expire type that is T stable?

It seems to me that knowing a file handle behaves like V2,3 would be a useful
thing. (ie. persistent and T stable)

Sorry I didn't spot this sooner, rick

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 13:46:04 -0500

> thing. (ie. persistent and T stable)

Do you mean that for "T stable" filehandles for removed objects, the server will
return ESTALE in response to the filehandle's use?  If so, then the intent is that
FH4_PERSISTENT represents that behavior.  There are statements in the
NFSv4 I-D that discuss the reuse of a persistent filehandle but it
is suggested that the reuse be very conservative with respect to elapsed
time.

Spencer