Subject: short NFSv4 bakeoff report

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:11:39 -0500

In case you missed the previous announcements, an NFSv4 bakeoff was
held July 11-13.  Same format as the one held October of 1999.  We had
5 participants this time around that represented 7 implementation
platforms.  The 7th was the OpenBSD work by CITI/Umich.

From the testing that occurred and the reports that were given on
Thursday afternoon, a majority of the implementations have the basic
NFSv4 operations done and working properly.  As David Noveck has noted
earlier on the alias, he has made progress with the OPEN share support
and this is where most of the implementations are moving towards.
CITI was able to test some of there OPEN share work at the bakeoff as
well.

As a result of the implementation work to this point, no errors or
major problems have been found in the protocol.

Another bakeoff is tentatively planned for the week of October 23rd.
Comments were made that the available testing time needs to be
extended since more has been implemented and therefore there is more
to test and fix.  We should be able to accomplish this by drastically
reducing or eliminating the presentation session on the last day and
allowing for earlier setup.

The other major comment about the bakeoff was that more testing and
coordination needed to occur before the event.  This would allow for
more focus and preparation by taking care of the small problems
outside of the face to face testing.  Therefore, the WG alias may see
some traffic from the planning of this testing, etc.

Spencer