Subject: Re: Automated support for combined RPC procedure calls

From: Jim Rees <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 17:14:18 -0400

For this
  particular application, I only have about 30 hours into
  it, so I'm not all worked up about protecting it. :-)

My understanding is that we can't use GPL or even LGPL code in the OpenBSD
kernel.  It would have to be BSD license or freer.

But I haven't really looked at Autogen enough to know whether I want to use
it or not.  I'll take a closer look.

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 17:58:48 -0400

>kernel.  It would have to be BSD license or freer.

None of the *BSDs will take GPL/LGPL code inside their kernels.

Folks who are targeting Linux-only might wish GPL/LGPL,
other folks more concerned with maximising the deployment
of their code might consider a BSD-style copyright.

This is now somewhat afield from NFS, however.

Ran
[email-masked]

---

From: Bruce Korb <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 14:44:27 -0700

> it or not.  I'll take a closer look.

In the "autoxdr.tpl" file, I will change:

<  *
< [= (lgpl "AutoXDR" "Bruce Korb" " *  ") =]
<  */

to this:

>  *
> [= (bsd "AutoXDR" "Bruce Korb" " *  ") =]
>  */

will cause the following copyright to be emitted
(with the arguments rearranged a bit):

static const char zBsd[] =
"%2$s%1$s is free software copyrighted by %3$s.\n%2$s\n"
"%2$sRedistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without\n"
"%2$smodification, are permitted provided that the following conditions\n"
"%2$sare met:\n"
"%2$s1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright\n"
"%2$s   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.\n"
"%2$s2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright\n"
"%2$s   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the\n"
"%2$s   documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.\n"
"%2$s3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software\n"
"%2$s   must display the following acknowledgement:\n"
"%2$s     This product includes software developed by %3$s.\n"
"%2$s4. Neither the name of the University nor the names of its contributors\n"
"%2$s   may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software\n"
"%2$s   without specific prior written permission.\n"
"%2$s\n"
"%2$sTHIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY %3$s ``AS IS'' AND\n"
"%2$sANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE\n"
"%2$sIMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE\n"
"%2$sARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE\n"
"%2$sFOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
CONSEQUENTIAL\n"
"%2$sDAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS\n"
"%2$sOR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)\n"
"%2$sHOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT,
STRICT\n"
"%2$sLIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY
WAY\n"
"%2$sOUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF\n"
"%2$sSUCH DAMAGE.\n";