Subject: NFSv4 WG summary (as reported by Brent Callaghan)

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 10:57:11 -0500

Summary of NFSv4 WG Meetings @ 48th IETF, Pittsburgh
----------------------------------------------------

The NFSv4 working group met in two sessions. The first
on Monday afternoon for 2 hours and the second on
Tuesday afternoon for 1 hour.  Both meetings were attended
by approx 25 people. The document editor, Spencer Shepler began
with a short summary of the changes incorporated in draft 07 of
the protocol description (in the IESG queue for
Proposed status). He then described some of the items
to be included in an informational RFC that describes protocol
implementation choices and targeted at protocol developers.

Brent Callaghan gave a short report on the protocol testing
at the NFSv4 bakeoff event held in Sunnyvale a few weeks ago.
The event attracted 7 protocol implementations from 5 
organizations. New this time was an OpenBSD implementation
from the University of Michigan CITI group.

Brian Pawlowski chaired the rest of the session, focusing
on file migration and replication issues. While the v4
protocol supports notification of file migration, there
exists no filesystem-independent "back-end" protocol to
move NFS filesystems between servers, or to re-synchronize
replicas. Brian used the Tuesday meeting to assemble a
requirements list for file migration and replication with
input from the attendees. File migration and replication
is outside the current charter of the WG, so a new charter
will be needed if this work is to continue within the WG.

--------------------