Subject: Work items towards updating RFC3010

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:03:15 -0600

Last week, during Connectathon, I presented my plans for the needed
updates to RFC 3010.

As a result of the implementation work, a number of issues need to be
resolved.  The intent of the updates for RFC 3010 is to resolve these
issues alone.  The intent is not to open up the NFSv4 specification
for every change that can be perceived.  The reason is to limit the
scope and hopefully close the update period within a reasonable time.

Obviously, the issues may result in no change to RFC 3010, minimal
semantic clarification, over-the-wire protocol changes, or additional
sections being added to the specification.

I would like to have all known issues resolved and a new I-D submitted
by April 27th.  This allows us 6 weeks to get through this work.  One
of the reasons for this schedule is that there is a potential for the
next NFSv4 bakeoff to held the week of June 18th (additional details
will be forthcoming).  Having the I-D available by May 1st will allow
the implementors sufficient time for code updates to reflect the
change in the specification.

I will treat each issue separately in email so as to ensure we have a
clear discussion and consensus.  I will post just the updates to the
specification, so that WG participants don't have to search through
the entire document for change bars.  (obviously, I will also have a
pointer to full intermediate drafts for those that are interested).

One thing that I ask of the WG is to be responsive to the issue
clarifications.  I want to allow for everyone's input but want to make
sure we reach the goal of closing updates by April 27th.

--

- Spencer -