Subject: RE: Rechartering the NFS Version 4 Workgroup - thoughts request o f comments

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 07:05:42 -0800

Brent Callaghan wrote: 
> The acid test is the interoperability requirement for Draft
> status.  We've got to test all the features of the protocol
> (every op, every flag, every attribute) and make sure every
> feature works before we qualify for Draft status.

How is this all going to work (or not work)?  Do we need two
separately developed inter-operating implementations of 
every feature?  For example, as far as I know, everybody's
method of implementing SPKM3 and LIPKEY is to wait for
Andy to do it and steal his code (Who said, "Ordinary artists
borrow.  Great artists steal.").  It doesn't make sense to
do anything else.  Is this going to be a problem for getting
to Draft status?

---

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:21:09 -0500

> do anything else.  Is this going to be a problem for getting

The official position is that the two implementations need to
be genetically distinct, but we don't actually do DNA testing.

We want to know the spec could be understood by more than one
genius, but one could possibly argue (to oneself) that 
integrating the code tested that enough...

Allison