Subject: re: time_metadata read-only

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 15:41:42 -0400 (EDT)

My server currently doesn't support time_metadata, since it is specified as
read-write and I can only support read-only, so I like the change.

Mike, should a server say it supports it (assuming it stays read-write) and
then refuse to change it? (That would seem like a violation of the spec. to me.)

More generically, it's a little weird that some time attributes are read-only
with a separate attribute for setting them and others are read-write. Maybe
they should all be read-only and any settable ones should have a
settime_xxx attribute?

All this is pretty minor so whether/when it changes doesn't matter to me, rick

---

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 05:48:45 -0700

> then refuse to change it? (That would seem like a violation of the spec. to me.)

I'd think that returning EPERM would not be a violation of the spec.  I believe
that the client is not allowed to depend on his own judgement of when he
has permission to do something.  That's up to the server.  The argument
could be made that the fact that everybody gets EPERM makes this somehow 
illicit, but it would take a real hanging judge to convict on that theory.