Subject: Client<-->Server using both NLM & NFSv4

From: "Stevan Steve Allen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 07:44:05 -0700

A single client may have both NLM & NFSv4 sessions established with the
same server.
It was noted that a client NLM restart does not signify a client reboot.
NFSv4 locks are still valid.

Based on separate protocols, It would seem that an sm_notify does not mean
the server should throw away NFSv4 locks, or visa versa for setclientid.
This indicates the NFS server needs to differentiate (track) NLM & V4
locks... and server locking functions such as purge locks by client id
needs enhanced so only the proper version of locks are purged.

For a full client system restart, we believe there will be both sm_notify &
setclientid issued to the server.  And it takes both to clean up all locks.
The NFSv4 locks may timeout when missing a setclientid, but nlm locks may
not timeout if missing an sm_notify.

Is anyone adopting the server approach that a lonely sm_notify  -or-
setclientid releases all lock versions?

Thanks,
Stevan C. Allen
Show what you got and charm them with your weakness.
If your adept at both, we're all jealous.

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 01:25:15 -0500

> setclientid releases all lock versions?

I don't see how a server implementation could provide this since the
identification of the client is different between NLM and NFSv4.  The
server can not determine if two requestors/clients are the same or if
they are different.  

-- 
Spencer