Subject: error return for setattr of ace that can not be enforced

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 06:07:12 -0500

From section 5.11.1:

   Clients should not attempt to set an ACE unless the server claims
   support for that ACE type.  If the server receives a request to set
   an ACE that it cannot store, it must reject the request with
   NFS4ERR_ATTRNOTSUPP.

   If the server receives a request to set an ACE that it can store but
   cannot enforce, the server SHOULD reject the request.

--

I received an email asking about the appropriate error return for this
last case where the server can not enforce the specific ACE.  Any
opinion about what should be returned?

Spencer

---

From: Mike Eisler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 04:33:33 -0700

>    cannot enforce, the server SHOULD reject the request.

My inference is that NFS4ERR_ATTRNOTSUPP was intended. Suggest moving the
latter sentence into the previous paragraph, and add to the end of the sentence:

	'with NFS4ERR_ATTRNOTSUPP.'

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 11:50:39 -0700

>>>>> "MRE" == Mike Eisler <[email-masked]> writes:

    >> I received an email asking about the appropriate error return
    >> for this last case where the server can not enforce the
    >> specific ACE.  Any opinion about what should be returned?

    MRE> My inference is that NFS4ERR_ATTRNOTSUPP was
    MRE> intended. 

To be honest, I hadn't thought much about which error.  But
NFS4ERR_ATTRNOTSUPP sounds like the right choice.

    MRE> Suggest moving the latter sentence into the previous
    MRE> paragraph, and add to the end of the sentence:

    MRE> 	'with NFS4ERR_ATTRNOTSUPP.'

Sounds fine to me.

mike