Subject: Re: heads up - NetApp, NFSv4, and UDP

From: Jim Rees <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 17:29:17 -0500

My copy of the rfc explicitly mentions udp, in section 2.2.  Is my spec out
of date?

My udp rpc follows the recommendations in Van Jacobson, "Congestion
avoidance and Control," Proceedings of SIGCOMM '88, ACM, August 1988.  That
doesn't count?

  It says "the supported transports" (which I read as meaning all of them),
  must be among a set in which UDP is clearly not included.

If this is true, someone needs to fix section 2.2.

---

From: Mike Eisler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 14:46:20 -0800

> My copy of the rfc explicitly mentions udp, in section 2.2.  Is my spec out

It mentions UDP to explain what universal addresses are in ONC RPC and their form for
IP based transports. It does not say that UDP is allowed in NFSv4

> avoidance and Control," Proceedings of SIGCOMM '88, ACM, August 1988.  That

If you can get IETF to approve it, it counts.

> If this is true, someone needs to fix section 2.2.

Why? The rest of the RFC says that allowable transports include those approved by IETF. If
IETF someday approves a UDP-based transport, then 2.2 is useful information.

	-mre