Subject: NFSv4 over UDP congestion control

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 17:10:47 -0500 (EST)

I agree that I have no idea how a server would do congestion control
for replies. I think that, by using a dynamic retransmit timeout estimator
(that is somewhat more conservative than that used inside TCP), the client
side and server callbacks can be congestion controlled (maybe not as effectivelyas for TCP?).

Since callback RPCs are small, I'm not sure congestion control is a
necessity for them.

Although I can see the argument for doing just TCP (especially if NFSv4 isn't
intended to replace NFSv3), I can also see the argument that an NFSv4 client
that does congestion control on the client side as being sufficient and maybe
useful over local LANs with low loss rates?

Just MHO, rick

---

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:23:35 -0500 (EST)

> I can also see the argument that an NFSv4 client

how would a client know for sure that it was in that environment and
not just something that looked like that for some moment in time?

Scott