Subject: Re: ACL in NFSv4 protocol

From: Mike Eisler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 12:05:41 -0800 (PST)

> * It's still an extra round trip to do ACCESS
> * You've marginalized the benefit of client-side caching in that each new
> user accessing the cache requires a server round trip

> However, this method does give more flexibility to server implementors with
> custom ACL semantics.  Either way, though, the NFSv4 spec should specify how
> the client is to handle ACL evaluation.

I'm not sure I understand "either way". If custom ACL semantics are
a benefit, then there's no way, short of sending back an applet,
for the client evaluate the ACL to get the same result as the server.

	-mre

---

From: "Eric Sedlar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 12:14:21 -0800

Sorry my antecedents are unclear.  "this" refers to the method of doing the
ACCESS roundtrip, and yes, if we allow custom ACL semantics, the client can
no longer evaluate the ACL.  It's a tradeoff between the need for custom ACL
semantics on the server vs. performance.

--Eric