Subject: [nfsv4] more on Setattr/Recall

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 13:54:12 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

First off, appologies for not including bits from the previous messages,
but I deleted them...

I was thinking along the same lines as Spencer that only a Setattr of size
required a Write Delegation Recall, but once he mentioned the stuff w.r.t
changing permissions for remove, the following came to mind:

- Client A has a Write Delegation for file X
- Client B does a Setattr that changes Owner on X (or Mode or ACLs) such
  that the principal that got the Write Delegation for X on A no longer
  has write permissions on the file

So, now I'm thinking that a Write delegation must be Recalled whenever
a Setattr might remove Write authority, as well. (If the Setattr uses a
"special stateid" in this case it seems you must Recall the delegation,
since you can't tell if the Setattr is from the same client or not.
Hopefully a client will use a real stateid if it has one, so this won't
be a common occurrence.)

How does this sound? rick
ps: And w.r.t. using Truncate on Recall, although I think my 2) can work
    if all permission checking is done before the Recall so the Remove
    or Setattr size<-0 is guaranteed to work, I think I'm stuck never
    setting Truncate to True on BSD.

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 08:11:01 -0500

> Hopefully a client will use a real stateid if it has one, so this won't

Yes, you are correct.  The delegation should be recalled in the event
that the ownership or modes change that effect the original open and
its share parameters.

Spencer