Subject: [nfsv4] re: NFS4ERR_EXPIRED or NFS4ERR_STALECLIENTID?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 20:04:41 -0500 (EST)

> You are right, Rick.  For some reason I seem to make this mistake
> more often than not.  NFS4ERR_EXPIRED is the correct error in both
> cases: discarded clientid without state and discarded clientid with 
> state.
> NFS4ERR_STALE_CLIENTID is only returned when the server
> has restarted.

Yippee, I don't have to re-write anything:-)

> Sorry for the mistake and confusion.

Nothing to be sorry about, I'm just glad it's clarified, rick

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Stevan Steve Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 09:21:09 -0700

Spencer,  I fell off the wagon here.

> NFS4ERR_STALE_CLIENTID is only returned when the server

Seems the server may not find a server generated clientid for 2 
conditions.
  o Server restarted
  o Clientid was released (freed)

Your statement indicates the server has to determine which condition 
occurred.  Rick asked how long the clientid has to be kept around (so 
separate errors can be returned).

Thanks,
Stevan C. Allen

---

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 13:31:06 -0400

> separate errors can be returned).

The server doesn't need to keep around the clientid to do this; encoding
the boot time in the clientid, for example, as suggested by the spec, is
sufficient.

--b.

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 12:13:28 -0500

> separate errors can be returned).

Yes. The server has to determine which condition occurred and most
servers will place a time stamp in the clientid to which it can refer
to determine if it is from a previous instance of the server and 
therefore
should return NFS4ERR_STALE_CLIENTID; if the timestamp matches
the current instance of the server and the clientid it not found, then
it will return NFS4ERR_EXPIRED to indicate that the lease expired
on the clientid and the state was removed.

Spencer