Subject: RE: [nfsv4] more re: NFSERR_EXPIRED

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 11:15:59 -0700

> Is it possible to add these 2 error codes to the errata?  OR should
the server just translate these errors to 
> NFS4ERR_SERVERFAULT (or NFS4ERR_STALE_CLIENTID ...though I think that
xlate would be misleading). 
 
STALE_CLIENTID is wrong unless, the server has rebooted.
 
I think someone mentioned this issue a while back but I can't remember
who.  I think that person made a
good case (at least in my opinion), that returning OK here does the
least harm.  You are telling the server
to get rid of any delegations that he has for this client, and if he
never heard of the client id, then he has
already got rid of all none of them, and so saying "I did that OK" is
valid.  

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Mazzurana [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 1:26 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [nfsv4] more re: NFSERR_EXPIRED 

Team, 

With all this discussion on NFS4ERR_EXPIRED vs. NFS4ERR_STALE_CLIENTID
etc., I was checking our implementation and also re-reading the RFC a
bit closer. 

I noticed that the DELEGPURGE operation does not have NFS4ERR_EXPIRED
nor NFS4ERR_ADMIN_REVOKED as possible error codes. Since a server may
mark a clientid as expired, it would seem that the server should let the
client know this on any operation that takes a clientid. Also, for those
servers that have a whiz-bang admin tool to revoke a client, the server
should also let the client know on those operations that take a
clientid. 

Is it possible to add these 2 error codes to the errata?  OR should the
server just translate these errors to NFS4ERR_SERVERFAULT (or
NFS4ERR_STALE_CLIENTID ...though I think that xlate would be
misleading). 

thoughts? 
--
Paul D. Mazzurana

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:50:24 -0500

On Apr 20, 2004, at 1:15 PM, Noveck, Dave wrote:

> > NFS4ERR_SERVERFAULT (or NFS4ERR_STALE_CLIENTID ...though I think 
> that xlate would be misleading).
>   

Ah, yes. I had forgotten about that thread; I withdraw the second 
portion of what
I mentioned in my previous email.

> mark a clientid as expired, it would seem that the server should let 
> the client know this on any operation that takes a clientid. Also, for 
> those servers that have a whiz-bang admin tool to revoke a client, the 
> server should also let the client know on those operations that take a 
> clientid.
>
> the server just translate these errors to NFS4ERR_SERVERFAULT (or