Subject: [nfsv4] more server error codes

From: Paul Mazzurana <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:25:11 -0500

Team,

Rick and I exchanged some emails on which error codes the server should 
return and  he suggested I post to the group.

>From pdmazz:
> 1.  what do you return if a client uses a clientid on an OPEN/LOCKT that
> has not yet been confirmed ? In this case, I am returning 
NFS4ERR_EXPIRED.
>     For some reason I thought this had been covered in the working group
> discussion, but I could not find a reference for it to cross check
> against.

reply from rick:
I return NFS4ERR_EXPIRED as well. It might be a good one to ask on the
mailing list, since I can't really see a good argument for it over some
other error. (I guess you could say that an unconfirmed clientid will
eventually be thrown away by the server, since it can't be renewed until
it has been confirmed and will therefore expire?)
The only reason I chose it was I couldn't see a more appropriate error
return listed for the Ops (like Renew) that get a clientid.

from pdmazz:
> 2. what do you return if a client uses a stateid on a read/write/lock
> operation that has not been confirmed AND the server had indicated that 
it
> needed to be confirmed when it returned the stateid to the client on the
> OPEN call?   In this case, I am returning NFS4ERR_BAD_STATEID.

reply from rick:
Same again, and I think the argument is similar to above. (ie There didn't
seem to be a better error return.) It does make sense to me that an
unconfirmed open stateid shouldn't be used for anything else until a
confirm is done on it and NFS4ERR_BAD_STATEID is the only "invalid 
stateid"
error that doesn't have a specific meaning which doesn't apply to this
case.

Well, at least we are consistently incorrect:-) rick
ps: Basically, NFS4ERR_STALE_CLIENTID, NFS4ERR_STALE_STATEID and
NFS4ERR_OLD_STATEID are for specific cases, which leaves
NFS4ERR_BAD_STATEID and NFS4ERR_EXPIRED as the "catch alls"?

--
Paul D. Mazzurana

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:13:16 -0500

On Apr 27, 2004, at 8:25 AM, Paul Mazzurana wrote:

>
> Team,
>
> Rick and I exchanged some emails on which error codes the server 
> should return and  he suggested I post to the group.
>
>
> From pdmazz:

The Solaris server returns NFS4ERR_EXPIRED as well in these cases.

>  > operation that has not been confirmed AND the server had indicated 
> that it

The Solaris server will return NFS4ERR_BAD_STATEID as well when
an unconfirmed stateid is used for operations other than OPEN_CONFIRM.

Spencer

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4