Subject: Fw: [nfsv4] rdattr_error values

From: Stevan Steve Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 14:29:54 -0700

If my previous note is undefined by the group, I propose the following 
text for READDIR.

14.2.24 Operation 26:  READDIR

The following ERRORS apply to both READDIR4res status and fattr4 attribute 
rdattr_error.  If the client READDIR operation requests a read attribute 
which is not supported by the server <getattr copy> or cannot approximate 
a useful value then it must not return the attribute value and must not 
set the attribute bit in the result bitmap.  The server must return an 
error (in READDIR4res status?) if it supports an attribute but cannot 
obtain its value </end getattr copy>  or if the client requests a write 
only attribute such as time_modify_set then the server must return 
NFS4ERR_INVAL in READDIR4res status(any reason not rdattr_error ?). 
<getattr copy>  In that case no attribute values will be returned. </end 
getattr copy>  <readdir copy>

   ERRORS

      NFS4ERR_ACCESS
      NFS4ERR_BADHANDLE
      NFS4ERR_BAD_COOKIE
      NFS4ERR_BADXDR
      NFS4ERR_DELAY
      NFS4ERR_FHEXPIRED
      NFS4ERR_INVAL
      NFS4ERR_IO
      NFS4ERR_MOVED
      NFS4ERR_NOFILEHANDLE
      NFS4ERR_NOTDIR
      NFS4ERR_RESOURCE
      NFS4ERR_SERVERFAULT
      NFS4ERR_STALE
      NFS4ERR_TOOSMALL

</end readdir copy>

note: a less restrictive text change would be to list two sets of ERRORS 
for READDIR.  One for READDIR4res status and one for the new rdattr_error 
attribute .

Thanks,
Stevan C. Allen

----- Forwarded by Stevan Steve Allen/San Jose/IBM on 04/17/2004 01:32 PM 
-----

READDIR results contain two status areas which may be returned (operation 
status & rdattr_error attribute).   I did not find any mention in the RFC 
or WG archives of restrictions for returned rdattr_error values.  I was 
also not able to determine if READDIR should act like GETATTR and return 
values and bitmask for server supported attrs when unsupported attrs are 
requested on the READDIR operation.   

Are the following errors supported for the rdattr_error attribute?   

NFSERR_ATTRNOTSUPP 
NFSERR_INVAL     
NFSERR_RESOURCE     
NFSERR_SERVERFAULT 
NFS4ERR_DELAY
NFS4ERR_MOVED

Thanks,
Stevan C. Allen