Subject: RE: [nfsv4] NFS4ERR_ADMIN_REVOKE and edge conditions

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 17:04:36 -0400

> - it is tempting to say it would be ok once NFS4ERR_ADMIN_REVOKED is
replied
>   to use of the stateid, but can it be certain the client received the
>   reply? (If another Op in sequence by seqid number was done for the
stateid,
>   it could then be certain, but a client isn't likely to continue to
use a
>   stateid after it gets NFS4ERR_ADMIN_REVOKED for it.)

Sessions, soon to come to a v4 version near you.  Adv.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 3:42 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nfsv4] NFS4ERR_ADMIN_REVOKE and edge conditions

I've been trying to figure out when the server can safely assume that
the
client has seen the NFS4ERR_ADMIN_REVOKED, so it can be allowed to
reclaim
state after a server reboot. (Related to the edge conditions discussed
in
Sec. 8.6.3)

When the server revokes all state for a client, it seems pretty straight
forward:
- clientid plus all stateids get NFS4ERR_ADMIN_REVOKED when used
- unless the client is partitioned, it will see the errors and
presumably
  do a setclientid/setclientid_confirm to get new state:
  - the server can then note the client has seen the loss of state and
    can again be allowed to recover state, noted in stable storage used
    for server reboot
- if it doesn't do a setclientid/setclientid_confirm, it won't be
allowed
  to recover state, but since there isn't any valid state for it to
  recover (it was all revoked), that seems fine

But, when the server only revokes some state for the client (one
lockowner
and associated locks or ...), how can the server know that the client
recognizes it has lost the state, so it can allow it to do reclaims
after
a server reboot?
- it is tempting to say it would be ok once NFS4ERR_ADMIN_REVOKED is
replied
  to use of the stateid, but can it be certain the client received the
  reply? (If another Op in sequence by seqid number was done for the
stateid,
  it could then be certain, but a client isn't likely to continue to use
a
  stateid after it gets NFS4ERR_ADMIN_REVOKED for it.)

It seems that, after revoking state, the server can only allow reclaims
after
a server reboot if the client does a subsequent
setclientid/setclientid_confirm.
But, if only some state was revoked, will it do that?

Thanks in advance for any input, rick

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4