Subject: [nfsv4] rfc2025 (SPKM) and Version 3 X.509

From: "William A.(Andy) Adamson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 17:08:49 -0400

Hello

Appendix B of rfc2025 states

   This appendix contains, for completeness, the relevant ASN.1 types
   imported from InformationFramework (1993), AuthenticationFramework
   (1993), and [PKCS3].

e.g. use these versions of the InformationFramework and 
AuthenticationFramework asn1 types. this means that SPKM uses only version 1 
or version 2 x.509 certificates - which do not contain any extensions. this is 
problematic - everyone uses vesion 3 x.509 certs - (UMICH, the Grid...)

what, if anything, needs to officially be done to allow SPKM to use version 3 
certificates?

thanks

-->Andy

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 16:30:30 -0500

> what, if anything, needs to officially be done to allow SPKM to use version 3 

Deprecate SPKM and replace it with a new mechanism based on DTLS :)