Subject: [nfsv4] performance help with nfsv3 clients

From: Rene Salmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 15:04:54 -0500

Hi list,

I am getting terrible performance from my nfsv4 server on some old SGI IRIX
nsfv3 clients.  It is really slow I takes several seconds between keystrokes
to edit a file using vi.  Can someone point me to some docs or links on some
info on performance tuning nfsv4 for nfsv3 clients?

thanks
Rene

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Erblichs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 13:16:03 -0800

Rene Salmon,

	Unless I am mistaken, NFSv4 is now statefull and
	will not interoperate with NFSv3 clients.

	Thus, the server would degrade into NFSv3 mode.

	Mitchell Erblich
	---------------

---

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:24:31 -0400

If you are getting response at all to nfsv3 clients, you have an
nfsv3 server.  You may also have an nfsv4 server but v3 clients
are not using it.  They can't.

Are you sure the problem is with nfs?  Normally I would expect vi
to read the file into memory and not have nfs involved at all
between (typical) keystrokes?

-----Original Message-----
From: Rene Salmon [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2007 4:05 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nfsv4] performance help with nfsv3 clients

Hi list,

I am getting terrible performance from my nfsv4 server on some old SGI
IRIX
nsfv3 clients.  It is really slow I takes several seconds between
keystrokes
to edit a file using vi.  Can someone point me to some docs or links on
some
info on performance tuning nfsv4 for nfsv3 clients?

thanks
Rene