Subject: [nfsv4] Boo: NFSv4.1 draft 15 is available

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 04:32:18 -0500

Normal formating and diffs are found here:
http://nfsv4-editor.org/drafts/drafts.html

Spencer

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 08:22:59 -0400

If you want to be frightening, you have to include the page count :-) 

-----Original Message-----
From: Spencer Shepler [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 5:32 AM
To: NFSv4
Subject: [nfsv4] Boo: NFSv4.1 draft 15 is available

Spencer

---

From: Benny Halevy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:17:04 +0200

> If you want to be frightening, you have to include the page count :-) 

Yeah :)

Besides that, we have some problems with the changes for the device
and layout stateid's.  Off the top of my head after quickly browsing
though the diff:
1. It looks like you merged the last proposal for devstateid and left
the existing semantics for recalling/returning device ID's via
CB_LAYOUTRECALL and LAYOUTRETURN for FSID and ALL.  The problem is
that LAYOUTRETURN does not update the device stateid and this seems
conflicting.  Also, I didn't see how the device state ID is recalled,
CB_NOTIFY wasn't updated, and it is not clear how the device stateid
is returns (LAYOUTRETURN for RETURN_FSID or ALL? or DELEGRETURN
as the last proposal said which I really don't like).

I think the proposal I sent can become a coherent and simple model
that will server everyone.

2. layout state ID: there's no layout stateid argument to LAYOUTGET
nor there is one in its result. Or did I just miss it?
IIRC this was the whole point of doing it?

Benny

---

From: Robert Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:44:31 -0500

> IIRC this was the whole point of doing it?

dot-x always wins :-)

(it's in the dot x)

Robert.

---

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:12:34 -0400

> http://nfsv4-editor.org/drafts/drafts.html

I was just reviewing the acl changes and noticed that while you fixed at
least one of my typos along the way (oops! thanks), you missed another
(also my fault, sorry): an "ACE4_APPEND_DATA" is missing an underscore.

(Looks fine otherwise, thanks!)

--b.

diff --git a/nfsv41_middle_fileattributes_acls.xml b/nfsv41_middle_fileattributes_acls.xml
index 139c43b..b3a7f08 100755
--- a/nfsv41_middle_fileattributes_acls.xml
+++ b/nfsv41_middle_fileattributes_acls.xml
@@ -742,7 +742,7 @@ const ACE4_SYNCHRONIZE          = 0x00100000;
               paragraph.  If a client submits an ALLOW ACE where
               ACE4_APPEND_DATA is set but ACE4_WRITE_DATA is not (or
               vice versa), the server should either turn off
-              ACE4_APPEND DATA or reject the request with
+              ACE4_APPEND_DATA or reject the request with
               NFS4ERR_ATTRNOTSUPP.
             </t>
           </section>

---

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:29:50 -0400

It looks like there was some sort of minor merge problem in the
introduction; part of a sentence is duplicated here.

--b.

diff --git a/nfsv41_middle_introduction.xml b/nfsv41_middle_introduction.xml
index 2b0781e..cd3b447 100755
--- a/nfsv41_middle_introduction.xml
+++ b/nfsv41_middle_introduction.xml
@@ -351,8 +351,7 @@
           resources.  The client may be an application which contains
           the logic to access the NFS server directly.  The client
           may also be the traditional operating system client that
-	  provides remote file system services for a set of applications.
-          file system services for a set of applications.
+          provides remote file system services for a set of applications.
         <vspace blankLines='1' />
           A client is uniquely identified by a Client Owner.
         <vspace blankLines='1' />

---

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:54:57 -0400

And one remaining nit: only series with 3 or more elements get commas.

(If someone is really dead set on a comma there, then you could change
the "and associated session" to a nonrestrictive parenthetical thing,
and adjust the number of the verb to match, like:

	"A client ID, with associated session, is required..."

Seems more cumbersome to me, though.)

--b.

diff --git a/nfsv41_middle_core_infrastructure.xml b/nfsv41_middle_core_infrastructure.xml
index d41f6fb..34ec875 100755
--- a/nfsv41_middle_core_infrastructure.xml
+++ b/nfsv41_middle_core_infrastructure.xml
@@ -1467,7 +1467,7 @@ struct server_owner4 {
    <section anchor="Client ID and Session Association" title="Client ID and Session Association">
    <t>
     Each client ID (<xref target="Client Identifiers" />) can have
-    zero or more active sessions. A client ID, and associated
+    zero or more active sessions. A client ID and associated
     session are required to perform file access in 
     NFSv4.1. Each time a session is used (whether by a client sending
     a request to the server, or the client replying to a callback