Subject: [nfsv4] nfs client bug?

From: quanli gui <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 10:01:48 +0800

Hi,
Recently I test the nfsv4 speed, I found that there is something wrong in
the nfs client, that is the one nfs client can only provide 400MB/S to the
server.
My tests as follow:
machine:one client, four server; hardware: all 16core, 16G memory, 5T disk;
os: all suse 11 enterprise server, 2.6.31-pnfs-kernel; network: client,
10GE, server, 2GE(bond, 1GE*2);
test method: on the client, mkdir four independent directory, mount the four
server via nfsv4 protocol, every time increase one;
test tool: iozone, or dd if=/dev/zero of=test count=20K,then cat
test>/dev/null
test result:(force on read speed, and watch the client/server network
input/output by the sar command)
1 client vs 1 server: 200MB/S
1 client vs 2 server: 380MB/S, every server: 190MB/S
1 client vs 3 server: 380MB/S, every server: 130MB/S
1 client vs 4 server: 385MB/S, every server: 95MB/S

>From above, we found that 400MB/S is the max-speed for one client. This
speed is the limition? How to increase this speed?

---

From: Thomas Haynes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 00:17:31 -0500

This mailing list is concerned with the protocol.

You either want to contact your client or server provider. When you do so,
please make sure to mention which OSes and versions you are running.

On Jun 27, 2011, at 9:01 PM, quanli gui wrote:

> Hi,
> Recently I test the nfsv4 speed, I found that there is something wrong in the nfs client, that is the one nfs client can only provide 400MB/S to the server.
> My tests as follow:
> machine:one client, four server; hardware: all 16core, 16G memory, 5T disk; os: all suse 11 enterprise server, 2.6.31-pnfs-kernel; network: client, 10GE, server, 2GE(bond, 1GE*2);
> test method: on the client, mkdir four independent directory, mount the four server via nfsv4 protocol, every time increase one;
> test tool: iozone, or dd if=/dev/zero of=test count=20K,then cat test>/dev/null
> test result:(force on read speed, and watch the client/server network input/output by the sar command)
> From above, we found that 400MB/S is the max-speed for one client. This speed is the limition? How to increase this speed?
>  
> _______________________________________________
> nfsv4 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: quanli gui <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 15:34:15 +0800

There is some else mailing list about the nfsv4?

OSes are suse 11 enterprise server, the linux kernel version we are running
is 2.6.31+pnfs.patch.
Our test command is mount -t nfs4 -o minorversion=1 serverIP:/
/mnt/serverIP.

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Thomas Haynes <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > machine:one client, four server; hardware: all 16core, 16G memory, 5T
> disk; os: all suse 11 enterprise server, 2.6.31-pnfs-kernel; network:
> client, 10GE, server, 2GE(bond, 1GE*2);
> > test method: on the client, mkdir four independent directory, mount the
> four server via nfsv4 protocol, every time increase one;

---

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 14:29:04 -0400

> Our test command is mount -t nfs4 -o minorversion=1 serverIP:/

[email-masked]

--b.