Subject: [nfsv4] question about callback security authsys parameters

From: Olga Kornievskaia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 13:39:23 -0400

I'd like to get a clarification about what goes into the csa_sec_parms
field for the AUTH_SYS case.

Here's the available wording from the spec:
"If AUTH_SYS is specified, then the client is authorizing the server
to use AUTH_SYS on all callbacks, using the credential specified
cbsp_sys_cred. "

"cbsp_sys_cred" of type authsys_parms is defined in rfc1831. It
specifies what "caller's" values are. What is the "caller" in this
case? Is it the nfs41 server and then the cbsp_sys_cred.machinename
should be the name of the nfs41 server and not the client?

Thank you.

---

From: Rick Macklem <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 16:21:21 -0400 (EDT)

> should be the name of the nfs41 server and not the client?
Well, when I first did an NFS client in 1988, I coded the machine
field of the AUTH_SYS header as a null (0 length) string because it
seemed useless. I have never heard of any problem with doing that
and can't imagine why it would matter what it is.

However, that's just my $0.00 worth as a 4.1 newbie, rick