Subject: [nfsv4] Fw: New Version Notification for draft-hildebrand-nfsv4-fadvise-02.txt

From: Dean <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 10:59:37 -0700

I've posted a new version of our draft to support the posix fadvise 
operation.  With this version, I've attempted to include aspects of the 
'Enterprise Applications' draft as well as address some of the differences.

Notable changes:
  - Allow sever to return hint information.  This information can be 
used for debugging, but we state that clients should not change their 
behavior based upon this information since the server is under no 
obligation to do anything w.r.t. this return value.
  - Hint argument and response now a bitmap
  - Included some basic info regarding why we don't see per-read/write 
hints as being useful
- Renamed fadvise section name to 'posix requirements', and then added 
an 'other requirements' section.  The goal of the new section is discuss 
all hints/designs that are not included in the posix section.

Dean Hildebrand
IBM Almaden Research Center

----- Forwarded by Dean Hildebrand/Almaden/IBM on 07/11/2011 10:31 AM -----

      From: 

[email-masked]

      To: 

Dean Hildebrand/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS

      Cc: 

[email-masked], [email-masked], Dean 
Hildebrand/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS

      Date: 

07/07/2011 04:10 PM

      Subject: 

New Version Notification for draft-hildebrand-nfsv4-fadvise-02.txt

------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new version of I-D, draft-hildebrand-nfsv4-fadvise-02.txt has been 
successfully submitted by Dean Hildebrand and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename: draft-hildebrand-nfsv4-fadvise
Revision: 02
Title: Support for posix_fadvise
Creation date: 2011-07-07
WG ID: Individual Submission
Number of pages: 10

Abstract:
This document proposes a new FADVISE operation for NFSv4.2 to support
the posix_fadvise function. FADVISE will communicate expected
application behavior to the server, allowing servers to optimize
future I/O requests for a file. The posix_fadvise function is
supported in Linux and many other operating systems and is starting
be widely used by applications. In addition, the FADVISE operation
can communicate other application directions such as the use of
direct I/O.

The IETF Secretariat