Subject: [nfsv4] Abstract: end-to-end data integrity checking in NFS

From: Chuck Lever <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 17:47:53 -0400

Hi-

Tom> I.e., I don't think we make good use of our limited meeting time when we
Tom> introduce new material and slides that people have to read. If we have
Tom> something new, we should be prepping the attendees ahead of time.

There has been talk for some time about introducing end-to-end data integrity in a future minor version of NFS.  As Oracle has been working on data integrity enhancements for block devices (T10 PI), we'd like to propose a data integrity facility in NFS that is compatible with T10 PI.

I intend to present slides next week at IETF 83 outlining such a facility.  This presentation describes one possible way to enable end-to-end data integrity checking in NFS.  I'll introduce T10 PI + DIX terminology, motivate its use by NFS, discuss a possible set of requirements, and review open issues.

We can provide a requirements draft before the end of CY2012 if there is consensus that this is worth pursuing.

-- 
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 22:22:20 +0000

I will add this to the agenda, Chuck.

Spencer

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Chuck Lever
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:48 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nfsv4] Abstract: end-to-end data integrity checking in NFS

Hi-

Tom> I.e., I don't think we make good use of our limited meeting time 
Tom> when we introduce new material and slides that people have to read. 
Tom> If we have something new, we should be prepping the attendees ahead of time.

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: "Haynes, Tom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 22:23:05 +0000

Thanks Chuck.

On 3/21/12 4:47 PM, "Chuck Lever" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>when we
>There has been talk for some time about introducing end-to-end data
>integrity in a future minor version of NFS.  As Oracle has been working
>on data integrity enhancements for block devices (T10 PI), we'd like to
>propose a data integrity facility in NFS that is compatible with T10 PI.
>
>I intend to present slides next week at IETF 83 outlining such a
>facility.  This presentation describes one possible way to enable
>end-to-end data integrity checking in NFS.  I'll introduce T10 PI + DIX
>terminology, motivate its use by NFS, discuss a possible set of
>requirements, and review open issues.
>