Subject: [nfsv4] commit thru DS at the bakeathon?

From: Rick Macklem <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 17:58:18 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone was going to have a pNFS server
at the June bakeathon that does Files layout and requires
"commit through the DS"?

It's one piece I haven't implemented yet and, although I do plan
on coding it, I was wondering if I should try and get it done in
the next couple of weeks?

Just fyi, I'll have a FreeBSD NFSv4.0 server and a NFSv4.1 client that
     includes pNFS using the files layout only there for testing.
     (excluding support for "commit through DS" maybe?)

Looking forward to the bakeathon, rick

---

From: Boaz Harrosh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 01:10:15 +0300

> at the June bakeathon that does Files layout and requires

I bet it could be simple to implement with the Linux local-exp
pnfs server. (If not already supported)

>      (excluding support for "commit through DS" maybe?)

Hey nice! a pnfs client for FBSD. Do you have a preliminary design
for multiple layout-drivers like in Linux with a vector table?

Should I be looking into objects implementation?

> Looking forward to the bakeathon, rick

Will not attend this time. Perhaps next time. Do you
have a public git tree for review?

Cheers
Boaz

---

From: Rick Macklem <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 18:27:51 -0400 (EDT)

> pnfs server. (If not already supported)
Right now, it does "commit through MDS", which is what I am testing.

I wasn't actually looking for a server that does "commit through DS"
as hoping no-one would have one at the bakeathon, so I didn't need to
worry about coding that in the next couple of weeks. (However, if someone
does have one, I might get that coded for testing;-)

> for multiple layout-drivers like in Linux with a vector table?
Not yet. I have tried to keep a fairly clean separation between the
generic layout stuff and the files layout specifics. I plan on starting
working on block layout stuff soon, in part to clean things up so that
other layouts can be added.

> Should I be looking into objects implementation?
Well, it wouldn't be easy yet, but it would be great if you could do so
in a few months?

> have a public git tree for review?
Not git, but svn...
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/projects/nfsv4.1-client
to look at it, or I think something like the following can be
used by an svn client to do a read-only checkout:
svn checkout http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/projects/nfsv4.1-client

There is an entire FreeBSD kernel there, but the nfsv4 client
stuff is in sys/fs/nfsclient (with a little in sys/fs/nfs).