Subject: [nfsv4] Last Call: <draft-ietf-nfsv4-pnfs-block-disk-protection-02.txt> (pNFS block disk protection) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 06:53:54 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Network File System Version 4 WG
(nfsv4) to consider the following document:
- 'pNFS block disk protection'
  <draft-ietf-nfsv4-pnfs-block-disk-protection-02.txt> as Proposed
Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-06-06. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Parallel NFS (pNFS) extends Network File System version 4 (NFSv4) to
   enable direct client access to file data on storage, bypassing the
   NFSv4 server.  This can increase both performance and parallelism,
   but requires additional client functionality, some of which depends
   upon the type of storage used.  The pNFS specification for block
   storage (RFC 5663) describes how clients can identify the volumes
   used for pNFS, but this mechanism requires communication with the
   NFSv4 server.  This document updates RFC 5663 to add a mechanism that
   enables identification of block storage devices used by pNFS file
   systems without communicating with the server.  This enables clients
   to control access to pNFS block devices when the client initially
   boots, as opposed to waiting until the client can communicate with
   the NFSv4 server.

This last call explicitly identifies 1 downref in the normative references
of this document:
   [GPT]     Unified EFI Forum, "Unified Extensible Firmware Interface 
             Specification", Version 2.3.1, Errata A, Section 5.3, 
             September 2011, available from http://www.uefi.org . 

GPT GUID usage is well understood and implemented. This I-D provides a
documentation/definition point.Given the use case of NFSv4.1 pNFS block
devices, the documentation of the pNFS GPT GUID in an IETF RFC best
suites the need of the community.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-pnfs-block-disk-protection/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-pnfs-block-disk-protection/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.