Subject: [nfsv4] Protocol Action: 'Administration Protocol for Federated Filesystems' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-admin-15.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 09:58:14 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Administration Protocol for Federated Filesystems'
  (draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-admin-15.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network File System Version 4 Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Martin Stiemerling and Wesley Eddy.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-admin/

Technical Summary

    This document describes the administration protocol for a
    federated file system that enables file access and namespace
    traversal across collections of independently administered
    fileservers.  The protocol specifies a set of interfaces by which
    fileservers with different administrators can form a fileserver
    federation that provides a namespace composed of the filesystems
    physically hosted on and exported by the constituent fileservers. 

Working Group Summary

    The FedFS administration protocol as to be used with NFSv4 file servers
    is an important component to providing enterprise usable federated
    NFSv4 file systems.  Combined with the NSDB Protocol for Federated
    Filesystems, and NFSv4 protocols a complete solution is possible
    and provides substantial utility. 

Document Quality
 
    Not only is the Federated FS Admin document complete, readable and
    useful as a guide to implementation and interoperability, this has
    been proven by at least two prototype implementations that have
    been built by those authoring the document.  This is an important
    culture of the NFSv4 working group and has become the norm of
    behavior for the work product generated by the working group. 

Personnel

   Spencer Shepler ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd. 
   Martin Stiemerling ([email-masked]) is the responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

 1. Please remove Daniel Ellard from the list of author
 2. Add this text to Appendix A.  Acknowledgments:
    'Daniel Ellard contributed significant parts to this draft.'