Subject: [nfsv4] I-D Action: draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc3530bis-30.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 13:22:49 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Network File System Version 4 Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Protocol
        Authors         : Thomas Haynes
                          David Noveck
	Filename        : draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc3530bis-30.txt
	Pages           : 298
	Date            : 2014-01-09

Abstract:
   The Network File System (NFS) version 4 is a distributed file system
   protocol which builds on the heritage of NFS protocol version 2, RFC
   1094, and version 3, RFC 1813.  Unlike earlier versions, the NFS
   version 4 protocol supports traditional file access while integrating
   support for file locking and the mount protocol.  In addition,
   support for strong security (and its negotiation), compound
   operations, client caching, and internationalization have been added.
   Of course, attention has been applied to making NFS version 4 operate
   well in an Internet environment.

   This document, together with the companion XDR description document,
   RFCNFSv4XDR, obsoletes RFC 3530 as the definition of the NFS version
   4 protocol.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc3530bis/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc3530bis-30

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc3530bis-30

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 17:07:04 -0500

I thought I'd try to summarize what's going on here.

Starting with the -27 version, Dave Noveck's been working on revising the
Section 12 internationalization text in Section 12 to move from the
stringprep-based functionality that does not seem to have been implemented for
NFSv4.0 to descriptions/recommendations based on what actually has been
implemented.  I've been working directly with Dave on the latest round of
text changes, but all of this is for the WG to review and approve.

Major changes in this -30 version:

- Expanded the introductory material (12.1) to indicate that the text will also
	recommend against undesirable behaviors that we don't think have ever
	been implemented.
- Added a discussion of types of servers wrt UTF-8 functionality in a new section
	12.3.
- Rewrote much of section 12.7 (now renumbered to 12.8) on server support for
	filenames in character sets other than UTF-8.  There's quite a bit of text
	there, but it's effectively a long version of "SHOULD be 8-bit-clean and
	SHOULD NOT do anything else, e.g., normalization" and it will probably be
	extended to recommend against case insensitivity beyond 7-bit ASCII.

Work (proposed) still to come:
- Editorial cleanup pass.
- Rewrite of Section 5.10 to reference the relevant Unicode functionality
	based on case folding - the bulk of the text will probably move
	into section 12 with a forward pointer from 5.10.  Separate email
	coming on that shortly.

Thanks,
--David

> -----Original Message-----
> From: I-D-Announce [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> [email-masked]
> Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2014 4:23 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc3530bis-30.txt
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
> Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: Christoph Hellwig <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 10:07:07 +0100

This still seems to miss this XDR fix I sent to the list in December:

---
From: Christoph Hellwig <[email-masked]>
Subject: fix linktext4 typedef

The Symbolic link contents needs to be an array of opaque bytes, as
rpcgen correctly noticed.

Signed-off-by: Christoph Hellwig <[email-masked]>

diff --git a/dotx.d/spit_types.sh b/dotx.d/spit_types.sh
index 26fea72..368de59 100755
--- a/dotx.d/spit_types.sh
+++ b/dotx.d/spit_types.sh
@@ -36,7 +36,7 @@ typedef :utf8string:utf8str_cis:Case-insensitive UTF-8 string.
 typedef :utf8string:utf8str_cs:Case-sensitive UTF-8 string.
 typedef :utf8string:utf8str_mixed:UTF-8 strings with a case-sensitive prefix and a case-insensitive suffix.
 typedef :utf8str_cs:component4:Represents pathname components.
-typedef :opaque  :linktext4:Symbolic link contents ("symbolic link" is defined in an Open Group <xref target='openg_symlink' /> standard).
+typedef :opaque  :linktext4<>:Symbolic link contents ("symbolic link" is defined in an Open Group <xref target='openg_symlink' /> standard).
 typedef :utf8string:ascii_REQUIRED4:String MUST be sent as ASCII and thus is automatically UTF-8.
 typedef :component4:pathname4&lt;&gt;:Represents path name for fs_locations.
 typedef :uint64_t:nfs_lockid4