Subject: [nfsv4] [Errata Held for Document Update] RFC5661 (3226)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 13:35:12 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been held for document update 
for RFC5661, "Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Minor Version 1 Protocol". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5661&eid=3226

--------------------------------------
Status: Held for Document Update
Type: Technical

Reported by: Marc Eshel <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2012-05-10
Held by: Martin Stiemerling (IESG)

Section: 18.43.3

Original Text
-------------
   The logr_return_on_close result field is a directive to return the
   layout before closing the file.  When the metadata server sets this
   return value to TRUE, it MUST be prepared to recall the layout in the
   case in which the client fails to return the layout before close.
   For the metadata server that knows a layout must be returned before a
   close of the file, this return value can be used to communicate the
   desired behavior to the client and thus remove one extra step from
   the client's and metadata server's interaction.

Corrected Text
--------------
The logr_return_on_close result field is a directive to return or forget
the layout before closing the file . When the metadata server sets this
return value to TRUE, the client MUST NOT use the layout and the
respective layout stateid after sending the last CLOSE of that file. Any
outstanding COMMIT to the data servers or LAYOUTCOMMIT to the metadata
server MUST be sent prior to closing the file. This return value is used
to communicate to the client that any layout or segment of a layout that
were given with logr_return_on_close set to TRUE will result in the
server invalidating all layouts of layouttype4 of loga_layout_type for
the file after it was closed.  Once the server returns
logr_return_on_close set to TRUE to a client for a given file it MUST
set logr_return_on_close to TRUE for all subsequent layouts or segments
of layoutype4 of the respective loga_layout_type for that file and
client until that file is closed.

Notes
-----
This directive will remove one or more extra steps from the client's and 
metadata server's interaction.

>From Martin Stiemerling 2015-12-15: This text is under discussion in the nfsv4 WG; after there is agreement in the WG, this erratum will be updated accordingly.

--------------------------------------
RFC5661 (draft-ietf-nfsv4-minorversion1-29)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Minor Version 1 Protocol
Publication Date    : January 2010
Author(s)           : S. Shepler, Ed., M. Eisler, Ed., D. Noveck, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Network File System Version 4
Area                : Transport
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Trond Myklebust <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 17:06:07 -0500

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 4:35 PM, RFC Errata System
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> nfsv4 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

This errata is incomplete.