Subject: [nfsv4] Protocol Action: 'Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Security Version 3' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpcsec-gssv3-17.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 13:45:47 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Security Version 3'
  (draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpcsec-gssv3-17.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network File System Version 4 Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Spencer Dawkins and Martin Stiemerling.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpcsec-gssv3/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies version 3 of the Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
   security protocol (RPCSEC_GSS).  This protocol provides support for
   multi-principal authentication of client hosts and user principals to
   server (constructed by generic composition), security label
   assertions for multi-level and type enforcement, structured privilege
   assertions, and channel bindings.

Working Group Summary

  The journey within the working group for this document and the
  technologies that it encompasses has been a somewhat longer process
  than the norm.  However, the results are that many of the features
  have been implemented independently and the feedback has been
  effectively folded back into this document.  Thus the document
  quality is very good and the resultant features have been constructed
  thoughfully and with working group consensus.

Document Quality

  From the above, the process, from a time perspective, has been
  longer than most but represents thoughtfulness, implementation
  feedback and the results have been a high quality document.
  The editing and feedback has been done by experience working
  group members with input from the entire community.
  Overall, I, as document shepherd and working group co-chair,
  am very pleased with the results.

Personnel

  Document Shepherd: Spencer Shepler
  Area Director: Martin Stiemerling