Subject: [nfsv4] Protocol Action: 'Parallel NFS (pNFS) SCSI Layout' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-nfsv4-scsi-layout-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2016 08:41:45 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Parallel NFS (pNFS) SCSI Layout'
  (draft-ietf-nfsv4-scsi-layout-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network File System Version 4 Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Mirja Kühlewind and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-scsi-layout/

Technical Summary

   The NFS version 4.1 parallel Network File System (pNFS) feature
   allows a separation between the metadata (onto a metadata server)
   and data (onto a storage device) for a file.  The SCSI Layout Type
   is defined in this document as an extension to NFSv4.1 to allow the
   use SCSI based block storage devices.

Working Group Summary

  The working group has been supportive of this work with little
  contention over the approach represented within.  This work is
  backed by implementation experience by the author in the Linux
  implementation.  The Internet Draft, during its development, received
  review and comments -- resulting in necessary changes and moving
  towards working group consensus.

Document Quality

  As mentioned above, there is an implementation of this protocol "extension"
  and this was the main reason for the existing of the I-D -- to bring
  that experience and implementation to the broader NFSv4 community.
  Given the individuals that reviewed and provided feedback, the overall
  quality of the document is very good.

Personnel

  Document Shepherd: Spencer Shepler
  Area Director: Spencer Dawkins