Subject: [nfsv4] Agenda for nfsv4 working group meeting Prague July 20

From: Brian Pawlowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 02:40:36 -0700

Thanks Dave N. for driving discussion.

I will be posting this to IETF meeting site. Please note that the agenda
includes bashing to make adjustments at meeting.

I will be in Prague on Sunday before hand. Would like to curl up with
people to go over recharter discussion before Thursday to make sure I have
a good strawman. Again Dave N. did  great job of teeing this up (look back
on e-mail thread if you missed this).

beepy
in Munich

---

From: David Noveck <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 08:53:22 -0400

I'll also be in Prague Sunday.  I have put together a short presentation
regarding the re-charter discussion.  Lately I've been focusing on SECDIR's
comments about the existing security considerations section in RFC7530.
Let's get together some time (how about Monday morning?) and co-ordinate
our presentations to avoid overlap.

So far, with regard to the re-charter I've kept the response to these
security issues pretty minimal.  It is limited to us saying that, as part
of maintenance we will try to meet IESG expectations in this regard, while
allowing us to do extensions "to meet new security challenges".

My worry is that this might not be enough and that the working needs to
consider something more substantial.  I don't think we can arrive at a new
direction for NFSv4 security at IETF99 but at least we need to raise the
issue of a possible change now to get some idea of what might be possible.
It would help if we got more specifics about what SECDIR is looking for.
If we could set up some meetings with SECDIR before Thursday, we would have
a better framework for the working group meeting.  Alternatively, it would
help to have some SECDIR people attend our meeting and take part in the
discussion.

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 5:40 AM, Brian Pawlowski <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> nfsv4 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4
>
>

---

From: Chuck Lever <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 10:18:46 -0400

> On Jul 10, 2017, at 8:53 AM, David Noveck <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I'll also be in Prague Sunday.

Me too. A gentle request to keep arrangements for ad hoc recharter
meetings on the list, so others may attend! Thanks.

> I have put together a short presentation regarding the re-charter discussion.  Lately I've been focusing on SECDIR's comments about the existing security considerations section in RFC7530.  Let's get together some time (how about Monday morning?) and co-ordinate our presentations to avoid overlap.
> 
> So far, with regard to the re-charter I've kept the response to these security issues pretty minimal.  It is limited to us saying that, as part of maintenance we will try to meet IESG expectations in this regard, while allowing us to do extensions "to meet new security challenges".
> 
> My worry is that this might not be enough and that the working needs to consider something more substantial.  I don't think we can arrive at a new direction for NFSv4 security at IETF99 but at least we need to raise the issue of a possible change now to get some idea of what might be possible.  It would help if we got more specifics about what SECDIR is looking for.  If we could set up some meetings with SECDIR before Thursday, we would have a better framework for the working group meeting.  Alternatively, it would help to have some SECDIR people attend our meeting and take part in the discussion.
> 
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 5:40 AM, Brian Pawlowski <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I will be posting this to IETF meeting site. Please note that the agenda includes bashing to make adjustments at meeting.
> 
> I will be in Prague on Sunday before hand. Would like to curl up with people to go over recharter discussion before Thursday to make sure I have a good strawman. Again Dave N. did  great job of teeing this up (look back on e-mail thread if you missed this).
> 
> beepy
> in Munich
> 
> 
> 

--
Chuck Lever

---

From: David Noveck <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 10:43:23 -0400

ad hoc is better than post hoc :-)

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Chuck Lever <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> > I have put together a short presentation regarding the re-charter
> discussion.  Lately I've been focusing on SECDIR's comments about the
> existing security considerations section in RFC7530.  Let's get together
> some time (how about Monday morning?) and co-ordinate our presentations to
> avoid overlap.
> >

---

From: Brian Pawlowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 07:53:19 -0700

So... let's definitely not call this a meeting. We'll have one of those on
Thursday.

But I will have office hours from 6-7pm in the conference hotel. You will
find me sitting near the lobby.

You can send me e-mail if you have difficulty locating me... I will be
checking it all the time between those hours.

beepy

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 7:43 AM, David Noveck <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> > I will be posting this to IETF meeting site. Please note that the
>> agenda includes bashing to make adjustments at meeting.
>> >

---

From: Christoph Hellwig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 16:54:41 +0200

> meetings on the list, so others may attend! Thanks.

I will only arrive Wednesday afternoon, but I'd be happy to meet up then.

---

From: David Noveck <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 11:10:55 -0400

We can call it a "discussion" if you feel more comfortable with that.

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Brian Pawlowski <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>>> > My worry is that this might not be enough and that the working needs
>>> to consider something more substantial.  I don't think we can arrive at a
>>> new direction for NFSv4 security at IETF99 but at least we need to raise
>>> the issue of a possible change now to get some idea of what might be
>>> possible.  It would help if we got more specifics about what SECDIR is
>>> looking for.  If we could set up some meetings with SECDIR before Thursday,
>>> we would have a better framework for the working group meeting.
>>> Alternatively, it would help to have some SECDIR people attend our meeting
>>> and take part in the discussion.
>>> >

---

From: David Noveck <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 07:02:11 -0400

> I will only arrive Wednesday afternoon, but I'd be happy to meet up then.

I think we can arrange things around your schedule. Brian and I will try to
have a discussion about co-ordinating re-charter presentations
for the working group meeting earlier in the week., but a more general
informal gathering of those interested  in the charter makes sense for later
in the week and Wednesday afternoon/evening.looks quite workable.

> meetings on the list, so others may attend! Thanks.

I know Brian objects to the word "meeting" and I think we can accommodate
him.  Nevertheless, we should keep discussions about  arrangements for
gatherings related to working group business, on the list, as Chuck
suggested, whether they are called "meetings" or  something else.

---

From: David Noveck <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 10:23:20 -0400

Brian wrote:

> look back on e-mail thread if you missed this.

To make it easier for people, I'm attaching some slides that give the
current draft charter and milestone proposals in a powerpunctual form.  If
people are interested in the history of the discussion, they can still look
at the e-mail thread.

I'll be posting my presentation slides next week after we've had our
discussion to co-ordinate our respective presentations on re-charter
issues.  Until we've done that, I'm not sure exactly what will  be in my
presentation

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 11:10 AM, David Noveck <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> So... let's definitely not call this a meeting. We'll have one of those
>> on Thursday.
>>