Subject: [Nfvrg] CFP - 2nd IEEE Workshop on Orchestration for Software-Defined Infrastructures (O4SDI-2)

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 10:41:51 +0200

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CFP
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

    CALL FOR PAPERS

    2nd IEEE Workshop on
    Orchestration for Software-Defined Infrastructures (O4SDI-2)

    To be held in conjunction with the
    2016 IEEE Conference on Network Function Virtualization and Software
    Defined Networks (IEEE NFV-SDN 2016)

    November 7, 2016 - Palo Alto, California, USA

    http://o4sdi.unibo.it/o4sdi2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

    IMPORTANT DATES

    Paper submission deadline:  July 15, 2016
    Acceptance notification:    September 16, 2016
    Camera-ready papers:        October 7, 2016

    SUBMISSION INFORMATION

    Paper submissions are handled on-line through the EDAS system:

    https://edas.info/newPaper.php?c=22175&track=81344

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

    SCOPE

    The current industry trend of convergence between computing and
    networking eco-systems clearly shows that software will play an
    unprecedented dominant role also in future communication environments.
    Computing, storage, and connectivity services, as well as any other
    present and future application instances, will be deployed in the form
    of virtualized assets within a software-defined infrastructure running
    on top of general-purpose processing and communication hardware, all
    managed and made available under the cloud “As A Service” paradigm.
    This technological convergence and infrastructure sharing between the
    computing and communication systems portend a scenario with a “fog” of
    micro-clouds composed of generalized virtual functions providing both
    applications and network services that supplement those deployed in
    traditional cloud datacenters.

    The Second IEEE Workshop on Orchestration for Software-Defined
    Infrastructures (O4SDI) addresses the challenges that will facilitate
    orchestration and programmability of generalized virtual functions in
    Software Defined Infrastructures (SDI), enabling cloud and network
    providers to deploy integrated services across different resource
    domains. Orchestration mechanisms will facilitate the live deployment
    and lifecycle management of these virtual elements, at the application
    level, the server level, and the network level within a single domain
    and across multiple domains. Without such orchestration it will not
    be possible to enable dynamic establishment of generalized virtual
    function chains, according to service requirements.

    These challenges of orchestration are many-fold, with many open
    questions that need to be addressed in the areas of:
      -  network "softwarization," which requires unified management of
         computing, storage, and network resources for the effective
         deployment, lifecycle management, and run-time configuration of
         generalized virtual functions;
      -  abstraction models and open standard interfaces, needed for
         assuring vendor interoperability;
      -  adaptation and optimization mechanisms, which must be enforced at
         global and/or local level for coping with user demand, application
         requirements, resource unavailability, etc.

    O4SDI aims at providing an international forum for researchers and
    practitioners from academia, industry, network operators, and service
    providers to discuss and address the challenges deriving from such
    emerging scenario where systems, processes, and workflows used in both
    computing and communications domains are converging.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

    TOPICS OF INTEREST

    Due to the highly interdisciplinary scope of the workshop,
    contributions are expected from both computing and network-oriented
    research communities, with the aim of facilitating discussion, cross-
    fertilization and exchange of ideas and practices, and successfully
    promote innovative solutions toward a real programmatic use of software-
    defined infrastructures as a whole. Contributions that discuss lessons
    learnt and best practices, describe practical deployment and
    implementation experiences, and demonstrate innovative use-cases are
    especially encouraged for presentation and publication.

    We are particularly interested in papers that cover, but are not
    limited to, the following topics:
      -  single domain and cross domain orchestration issues
      -  integrated network and computing resource control and management
      -  control and abstraction of heterogeneous networks
      -  orchestration in SDN/NFV
      -  run-time orchestration
      -  orchestration for next-generation IP and optical networks
      -  orchestration in 5G networks
      -  QoS/QoE in software-defined infrastructures
      -  orchestration for high-availability and resilience in
         software-defined infrastructures
      -  intent-based orchestration
      -  dynamic service composition and delivery
      -  network programmability for service chaining
      -  software engineering and operating systems techniques applied
         to orchestration
      -  description, specification, and abstraction languages
         for orchestration
      -  optimal orchestration algorithms
      -  context-aware orchestration
      -  functional architectures of orchestrating elements
      -  testbed experiments on orchestrations
      -  performance evaluation of orchestration elements
      -  standardization issues in orchestration

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

    WORKSHOP CO-CHAIRS

    Stuart Clayman, University College London, UK - [email-masked]
    Walter Cerroni, University of Bologna, Italy - [email-masked]
    Barbara Martini, CNIT, Pisa, Italy - [email-masked]
    Federica Paganelli, CNIT, Firenze, Italy - [email-masked]

    TECHNICAL PROGRAM COMMITEE

    To be announced soon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

    AUTHOR GUIDELINES

    Prospective authors are invited to submit high-quality, original technical
    papers for presentation at the workshop and publication in the O4SDI
    Proceedings and IEEE Xplore. Papers must be written in English,
    unpublished and not submitted elsewhere. Full papers must be formatted
    as the standard IEEE double-column conference template. All final
    submissions should have a maximum paper length of six (6) printed pages
    (10-point font), including figures, without incurring additional page
    charges.

    To be published in the Workshop Proceedings and to be eligible for
    publication in IEEE Xplore, at least one author of an accepted paper is
    required to register and present the paper at the workshop. The IEEE
    reserves the right to exclude a paper from distribution after the
    conference (including its removal from IEEE Xplore) if the paper is not
    presented at the conference. Papers are reviewed on the basis that they
    do not contain plagiarized material and have not been submitted to any
    other conference at the same time (double submission).

    For additional author guidelines, please refer to:

    http://nfvsdn2016.ieee-nfvsdn.org/authors/call-for-papers/submission-guidelines/