Subject: [Nfvrg] I-D Action: draft-irtf-nfvrg-gaps-network-virtualization-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 06:14:24 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Function Virtualization of the IETF.

        Title           : Gap Analysis on Network Virtualization Activities
        Authors         : Carlos J. Bernardos
                          Akbar Rahman
                          Juan Carlos Zuniga
                          Luis M. Contreras
                          Pedro Aranda
	Filename        : draft-irtf-nfvrg-gaps-network-virtualization-01.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2016-07-08

Abstract:
   This document describes open research challenges for network
   virtualization.  Network virtualization is following a similar path
   as previously taken by Cloud computing.  Specifically, Cloud
   computing popularized migration of computing functions (e.g.,
   applications) and storage from local, dedicated, physical resources
   to remote virtual functions accessible through the Internet.  In a
   similar manner, network virtualization is encouraging migration of
   networking functions from dedicated physical hardware nodes to a
   virtualized pool of resources.  However, network virtualization can
   be considered to be a more complex problem than Cloud computing as it
   not only involves virtualization of computing and storage functions
   but also involves abstraction of the network itself.  This document
   describes current research challenges in network virtualization
   including service guarantees, energy efficiency, supporting multiple
   domains, network slicing, self-management, privacy and security.  In
   addition, some proposals are made for new activities in IETF/IRTF
   that could address some of these challenges.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-nfvrg-gaps-network-virtualization/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-nfvrg-gaps-network-virtualization-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-nfvrg-gaps-network-virtualization-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 15:24:05 +0200

Hi,

We have just updated our draft. We have performed significant changes
to adapt the content as we discussed in the past meetings and make it
more "challenges and gap oriented", instead of organizing the content
along the WGs.

We plan to continue adding challenges and relating them to the work
that might be done in IETF/IRTF. We believe this structure adds value
to the draft.

Comments are welcome,

Carlos (on behalf of all the authors of the draft)

Subject: I-D Action: draft-irtf-nfvrg-gaps-network-virtualization-01.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 06:14:24 -0700
List-Id: Internet Draft Announcements only <i-d-announce.ietf.org>

Abstract:

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: "Saumya Dikshit (sadikshi)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 08:50:16 +0000

Hello Authors,

Informative presentation in ietf-96 !!!

Apology if this been asked/resolved earlier in the mailing list:
Couple of  queries 
1. about NFV requirements for for serviceability across overlay-underlay
deployment, wherein error-detection/handling/recovery from underlays to be
made opaque and not transparent to ensure faster serviceability of network.
2. Any specific use-case, wherein, you want it to be made NON-agnostic to
routing extensions like BGP-EVPN or specific requirements to integrated it
to BGP-EVPN extensions.

Thanks
Saumya.

---

From: "Saumya Dikshit (sadikshi)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 14:33:35 +0000

It will be great if authors can help find a response on this.
I hope this is not out of context and maps to Network slicing.

Thanks
Saumya.

On 7/18/16, 10:50 AM, "Nfvrg on behalf of Saumya Dikshit (sadikshi)"
<[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

>Nfvrg mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfvrg

---

From: Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 15:11:55 +0200

Dear Saumya,

Thanks for your comments. Please see some first comments/questions inm
line below.

> made opaque and not transparent to ensure faster serviceability of

I'm not sure I got this comment right. Can you please elaborate it a
bit more?

> routing extensions like BGP-EVPN or specific requirements to

So far no. Do you have anything in mind?

Thanks,

Carlos

---

From: "Saumya Dikshit (sadikshi)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 20:05:54 +0000

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the response. Please see inline

>I'm not sure I got this comment right. Can you please elaborate it a
<Saumya> my statement is in context of datacenter network.
Since NFV¹s may mostly find themselves on the server (client) side of a
data-center network,
Which typically consists of Vxlan like Overlays on top of an IP/Ipv6
underlay. Both underlay and overlay
can potentially fall under different operator domains. Hence for faster
serviceability it¹s required to
gather information from all hierarchy of networks(overlay(s) and underlay.
I suggest that it;s worth mentioning
explicitly as an NFV requirement and if required run it through other
groups like NVO3 and rtgwg for firming up.
>So far no. Do you have anything in mind?
<Saumya> The answer is to inculcate Network as service elements in NFV.
And as I mentioned in the above bullet, need of the hour for these
elements to function robustly is to gather information as much information
possible about end-to-end network.

---

From: Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 14:21:21 +0200

Hi Saumya,

Thanks. Please see inline below.

On Thu, 2016-07-21 at 20:05 +0000, Saumya Dikshit (sadikshi) wrote:
> > > deployment, wherein error-detection/handling/recovery from
> > > underlays
> > > to be
> > > made opaque and not transparent to ensure faster serviceability
> > > of
> > > network.

[Carlos] OK, I see now. I agree this is worth being mentioned. We'll
add something in the next revision of the draft.

> possible about end-to-end network.

[Carlos] OK, we'll also add something in the next version of the draft.
If you have specific text suggestions for this or the above, those will
be very welcome.

Thanks,

Carlos

> > > > to adapt the content as we discussed in the past meetings and
> > > > make
> > > > it

---

From: "Saumya Dikshit (sadikshi)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 04:30:15 +0000

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for acknowledging the requirements.
I will surely send out the exact text in my next.

Regards
Saumya.