Subject: [Nfvrg] CFP - 2nd IEEE Workshop on Orchestration for Software-Defined Infrastructures (O4SDI-2)

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 16:40:44 +0200

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CFP
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

   CALL FOR PAPERS

   2nd IEEE Workshop on
   Orchestration for Software-Defined Infrastructures (O4SDI-2)

   To be held in conjunction with the
   2016 IEEE Conference on Network Function Virtualization and Software
   Defined Networks (IEEE NFV-SDN 2016)

   November 7, 2016 - Palo Alto, California, USA

   http://o4sdi.unibo.it/o4sdi2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

   IMPORTANT DATES

   Paper submission deadline:  July 15, 2016
   Acceptance notification:    September 16, 2016
   Camera-ready papers:        October 7, 2016

   SUBMISSION INFORMATION

   Paper submissions are handled on-line through the EDAS system:

   https://edas.info/newPaper.php?c=22175&track=81344

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

   SCOPE

   The current industry trend of convergence between computing and
   networking eco-systems clearly shows that software will play an
   unprecedented dominant role also in future communication environments.
   Computing, storage, and connectivity services, as well as any other
   present and future application instances, will be deployed in the form
   of virtualized assets within a software-defined infrastructure running
   on top of general-purpose processing and communication hardware, all
   managed and made available under the cloud “As A Service” paradigm.
   This technological convergence and infrastructure sharing between the
   computing and communication systems portend a scenario with a “fog” of
   micro-clouds composed of generalized virtual functions providing both
   applications and network services that supplement those deployed in
   traditional cloud datacenters.

   The Second IEEE Workshop on Orchestration for Software-Defined
   Infrastructures (O4SDI) addresses the challenges that will facilitate
   orchestration and programmability of generalized virtual functions in
   Software Defined Infrastructures (SDI), enabling cloud and network
   providers to deploy integrated services across different resource
   domains. Orchestration mechanisms will facilitate the live deployment
   and lifecycle management of these virtual elements, at the application
   level, the server level, and the network level within a single domain
   and across multiple domains. Without such orchestration it will not
   be possible to enable dynamic establishment of generalized virtual
   function chains, according to service requirements.

   These challenges of orchestration are many-fold, with many open
   questions that need to be addressed in the areas of:
     -  network "softwarization," which requires unified management of
        computing, storage, and network resources for the effective
        deployment, lifecycle management, and run-time configuration of
        generalized virtual functions;
     -  abstraction models and open standard interfaces, needed for
        assuring vendor interoperability;
     -  adaptation and optimization mechanisms, which must be enforced at
        global and/or local level for coping with user demand, application
        requirements, resource unavailability, etc.

   O4SDI aims at providing an international forum for researchers and
   practitioners from academia, industry, network operators, and service
   providers to discuss and address the challenges deriving from such
   emerging scenario where systems, processes, and workflows used in both
   computing and communications domains are converging.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

   TOPICS OF INTEREST

   Due to the highly interdisciplinary scope of the workshop,
   contributions are expected from both computing and network-oriented
   research communities, with the aim of facilitating discussion, cross-
   fertilization and exchange of ideas and practices, and successfully
   promote innovative solutions toward a real programmatic use of software-
   defined infrastructures as a whole. Contributions that discuss lessons
   learnt and best practices, describe practical deployment and
   implementation experiences, and demonstrate innovative use-cases are
   especially encouraged for presentation and publication.

   We are particularly interested in papers that cover, but are not
   limited to, the following topics:
     -  single domain and cross domain orchestration issues
     -  integrated network and computing resource control and management
     -  control and abstraction of heterogeneous networks
     -  orchestration in SDN/NFV
     -  run-time orchestration
     -  orchestration for next-generation IP and optical networks
     -  orchestration in 5G networks
     -  QoS/QoE in software-defined infrastructures
     -  orchestration for high-availability and resilience in
        software-defined infrastructures
     -  intent-based orchestration
     -  dynamic service composition and delivery
     -  network programmability for service chaining
     -  software engineering and operating systems techniques applied
        to orchestration
     -  description, specification, and abstraction languages
        for orchestration
     -  optimal orchestration algorithms
     -  context-aware orchestration
     -  functional architectures of orchestrating elements
     -  testbed experiments on orchestrations
     -  performance evaluation of orchestration elements
     -  standardization issues in orchestration

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

   WORKSHOP CO-CHAIRS

   Stuart Clayman, University College London, UK - [email-masked]
   Walter Cerroni, University of Bologna, Italy - [email-masked]
   Barbara Martini, CNIT, Pisa, Italy - [email-masked]
   Federica Paganelli, CNIT, Firenze, Italy - [email-masked]

   TECHNICAL PROGRAM COMMITEE

   To be announced soon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

   AUTHOR GUIDELINES

   Prospective authors are invited to submit high-quality, original technical
   papers for presentation at the workshop and publication in the O4SDI
   Proceedings and IEEE Xplore. Papers must be written in English,
   unpublished and not submitted elsewhere. Full papers must be formatted
   as the standard IEEE double-column conference template. All final
   submissions should have a maximum paper length of six (6) printed pages
   (10-point font), including figures, without incurring additional page
   charges.

   To be published in the Workshop Proceedings and to be eligible for
   publication in IEEE Xplore, at least one author of an accepted paper is
   required to register and present the paper at the workshop. The IEEE
   reserves the right to exclude a paper from distribution after the
   conference (including its removal from IEEE Xplore) if the paper is not
   presented at the conference. Papers are reviewed on the basis that they
   do not contain plagiarized material and have not been submitted to any
   other conference at the same time (double submission).

   For additional author guidelines, please refer to:

http://nfvsdn2016.ieee-nfvsdn.org/authors/call-for-papers/submission-guidelines/