Subject: [NSIS] Proposed NSIS charter

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 11:02:25 +0300

Hi all,

I have been exchanging some emails with the Transport Area Directors about a
proposed Working Group charter.  This is what I have come up with.  I'd
appreciate feedback on this.  

thanks,
John Loughney

Next Steps in Signaling

Quite a bit of work has been done on Quality of Service and resource
reservation for the Internet.  For a number reasons, however, QoS has been
primarily limited to best effort service.  

There are concerns about existing QoS solutions - scalability and simplicity
being primary concerns. Additionally, interworking between different QoS
solutions is problematic. Mobility and next-generation wireless networks
complicate this. This creates a need for a simplified solution of signaling
QoS, one that reuses parts of existing methods.  

This work group will work on the requirements, architecture and protocols
for signaling QoS. The working group will use existing IETF signaling
protocols as the basis for this work.  Additionally, this work group will
consider a simplified set of QoS parameters for use with the signaling
protocols.  As input to the working group, the Mobile IP QoS Requirements
document (draft-mobileip-qos-requirements) will be considered by the working
group.

Resource allocation mechanisms are out of scope for this working group, as
resource allocation is a network administrative concern.  This work group
will focus on providing (QoS) signaling functioning to a local access
network and end-to-end signaling.  It is not the intention of this working
group to invent new signaling protocols.  Additionally, mobility protocols
and AAA work is out of scope of the working group.  The work produced in
this Work Group should work with existing IETF mobility and AAA protocols.

This work group will provide the framework for interworking with existing
resource allocation methods.  It is a non-goal of the working group to
develop new resource allocation protocols.  

Goals and Milestones:
=====================

Dec 01	Initial ID on Analysis of existing signaling protocols

Dec 01	Initial ID on Signaling Requirements

Mar 02  	Initial ID on Framework signaling architecture

Mar 02	Initial ID on Simplified QoS parameters / datatypes

Jul 02  	Submit 'Analysis of existing signaling protocols' to IESG
for publication as an Information RFC.

Jul 02  	Submit 'Signaling Requirements' to IESG for publication as
an Information RFC.

Jul 02	Initial ID on Comparison of signaling protocol candidates

Sep 02	Initial Standards track ID on QoS signaling protocol

Sep 02  	Submit 'Framework signaling architecture' to IESG for
publication as an Information RFC.

Dec 02  	Submit 'Simplified QoS parameters / datatypes' to IESG for
publication as an Information RFC.

Mar 03  	Submit 'QoS signaling protocol' to IESG for publication as a
standards track RFC.

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Jukka Manner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 13:23:16 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

	The charter sounds pretty good, although a few thoughts came to my
mind while reading it:

	1) I didn't quite understand, whether the WG would define a new
signalling protocol or not? Would, for example, an enhancement /
modification to RSVP be considered in or out of scope?

	2) If the goals include some sort of new QoS signalling, would
that include eg. bandwidth broker functionality, if needed, or just a
signalling mechanism? So, more entities concerned by the signalling than
just routers and end hosts?

	3) Would the signalling be limited to a separate QoS signalling
protocol, or could the QoS signalling be part data packets, so be in-band,
as the DSCP in DiffServ or the INSIGNIA scheme. A new IPv6 extension
header for QoS?

	4) The text talks about mobility considerations to QoS? Is that
the primary goal or would the QoS signalling question be as important to
solve in fixed networks and especially in ad hoc networks?

	Just some thoughts,

	Jukka Manner