Subject: [NSIS] updated req draft -05 submitted

From: Marcus Brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 23:04:02 +0100

I have submitted the next revision of the reqirements draft.

Here is the change log
Changes 04 -> 05

1) removed  QoS specifics as far as possible, still used as examples at 
several places.

2) Removed text from Section 1-3.

3) Changes exclusion 11 on  "Handoff decision and trigger sources" into:

   11. Handoff decision and trigger sources: An NSIS protocol is not used 
to trigger handoffs in mobile IP, nor is it used to decide whether to 
handoff or not. As soon as or in some situation even before a handoff 
happened, an NSIS protocol might be used for signaling for QoS again. The 
basic underlying assumption is that the route comes first (defining the 
path) and the signaling comes after it (following the path). This doesn't 
prevent a signaling application at some node interacting with something 
that modifies the path, but the requirement is then just for NSIS to live 
with that possibility. However, NSIS must interwork with several protocols 
for mobility management.

4) change in section 5
From:
"All of them are not strictly defined and should not be regarded as that, 
but should give a feeling about where in the network we have different 
requirements concerning signaling."

To:
"These divisions between network types are not strict and do not appear in 
all networks, but where they do exist they may influence signaling 
requirements and will be highlighted as necessary."

5) change req 5.2.3

SHOULD in 2nd paragraph changed to lower-case

6) changed title of 5.3 into "Messaging"

7) req 5.3.3 changed
From:
SHOULD be able to notify

To:
SHOULD notify

8) change req 5.3.4

Second MAY is now lowercase

9) req 5.6.3
changed sender -> NSIS Initiator,
receiver into NSIS Responder

10) created separate req section with the NF initiation req. Keeps the same 
text

11) removed last sentence of req 5.7.4

12) changed req 5.9.2

From:

"The solution MUST NOT constrain either to IPv4 or IPv6"

To:

"The NSIS protocol MUST support IPv4 and IPv6."

13) change req 5.9.4 "SHOULD provide hooks for AAA protocols"

From:

The security mechanism SHOULD be developed with respect to be able to 
collect usage records from one or more network elements.

To:

The NSIS SHOULD be developed with respect to be able to collect usage 
records from one or more network elements.

14) remove text from req 5.9.5

New it says: "An NSIS protocol SHOULD interwork with seamless handoff 
protocols such as context transfer and candidate access router (CAR) 
discovery."

15) Change requirement 5.10.3

From:
"NSIS peers SHOULD be able to detect the malfunctioning peer. It may notify 
the NSIS Initiator or another NSIS entity involved in the signaling 
process. The NSIS peer may handle the problem itself e.g. switching to a 
backup NSIS entity. In the latter case note that synchronization of state 
between the primary and the backup entity is needed."

To:

"NSIS peers SHOULD be able to detect the malfunctioning peer. It SHOULD 
notify the NSIS Initiator or another NSIS entity involved in the signaling 
process. The NSIS peer may handle the problem itself e.g. switching to a 
backup NSIS entity. "

16) Section 6: changed "threads" should be "threats"

--------------------------------------
Dr. Marcus Brunner
Network Laboratories
NEC Europe Ltd.

E-Mail: [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.ccrle.nec.de/
Phone: +49 (0) 6221 905 11 29
personal home page: http://www.brubers.org/marcus

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis