Subject: Re: [NSIS] Comments on requirements draft

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 16:41:40 GMT

*> 
  *> >References need to be split into normative and informative
  *> 
  *> there are no non-normative references

Marcus,

Actually, this normative business is a little confusing for everybody.
From the viewpoint of the RFC Editor, the normative attribute is really
relevant only on standards track documents (or BCPs, which are
quasi-standards).  Since this is a requirements draft that will not be
a standard of any kind, some believe that NONE of its references need
be normative.

The practical consequence of a normative reference is that it may hold
up publication if the referenced document has not itself been
published.  Mutual normative references force a group of RFCs to be
published simultaneously, often holding them all up because due to a
minor glitch in one of them.  If the referenced documet is already
published, making a normative reference to it has no practical
consequences.

Bob Braden
_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Marcus Brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 12:01:46 +0100

Thanks for clarification. In the req draft we currently have a reference to 
the Security Threats "NSIS Threats" draft.

MArcus

> published, making a normative reference to it has no practical

--------------------------------------
Dr. Marcus Brunner
Network Laboratories
NEC Europe Ltd.

E-Mail: [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.ccrle.nec.de/
Phone: +49 (0) 6221 905 11 29
personal home page: http://www.brubers.org/marcus