Subject: [NSIS] Requirements: text proposal 5.3.4

From: "Geib, Ruediger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:31:46 +0100

Dear Marcus,

as agreed during the interim meeting, I propose some replacement text for "5.3.4 Feedback about success of service request":

5.3.4 Establishment, change to and refusal to set up state MUST be acknowledged
An NR MUST acknowledge establishment of state on behalf of the NI requesting establishment of that state.
With the exception of the NI, any NE initiating a change of state MUST signal this along the upstream and downstream signaling path so that other possibly involved NEs and finally NI and NR may adjust their state maintenance. 
A refusal to set up state MUST be replied with a negative acknowledgement by the NE refusing to set up state. It MUST be sent to the NI. Information on the reason of the refusal to set up state SHOULD be made available. Depending on the NSLP, the (negative) acknowledement may have to pass further NEs (an example would be QoS related signaling).

Comments and improvements are welcome.

Regards, Rudiger

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:19:06 +0100 (CET)

The change of state notification issue is IMHO covered by Req 5.3.3.
Therefore, the following change. Additionally, I think refusal of state
setup  can only be notified not acknowledged. And I would like to keep the
example from the current text. So here my proposed changed paragraph. The
adding of reason was a MAY in version -06. Kept the MAY there. The concept
of NSLP is not known to the requirement draft is more a conclusion out of
the requirements.

5.3.4 Establishment and refusal to set up state MUST be notified.

An NR MUST acknowledge establishment of state on behalf of the NI
requesting establishment of that state.  A refusal to set up state MUST be
replied with a negative acknowledgement by the NE refusing to set up
state. It MUST be sent to the NI. Depending on the signaling application
the (positive or negative) notifications may have to pass through further
NEs upstream. Information on the reason of the refusal to set up state MAY
be made available.  E.g., in the resource reservation example, together
with a negative answer also return the amount of resources available.

Does this changes still capture the essence?

Marcus

> Dear Marcus,
>
> as agreed during the interim meeting, I propose some replacement text
> for "5.3.4 Feedback about success of service request":
>
> 5.3.4 Establishment, change to and refusal to set up state MUST be
> acknowledged An NR MUST acknowledge establishment of state on behalf of
> the NI requesting establishment of that state. With the exception of the
> NI, any NE initiating a change of state MUST signal this along the
> upstream and downstream signaling path so that other possibly involved
> NEs and finally NI and NR may adjust their state maintenance.  A refusal
> to set up state MUST be replied with a negative acknowledgement by the
> NE refusing to set up state. It MUST be sent to the NI. Information on
> the reason of the refusal to set up state SHOULD be made available.
> Depending on the NSLP, the (negative) acknowledement may have to pass
> further NEs (an example would be QoS related signaling).
>