Subject: RE: [NSIS] consensus probe on one aspect of NTLP operation

From: "Georgios Karagiannis (ELN)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:53:40 +0100

Hi John and Ruediger

I think soft state refresh should be a must, 
the rest is optimization, thus optional!

Best Regards,
Georgios

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: vrijdag 21 februari 2003 10:53
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [NSIS] consensus probe on one aspect of NTLP operation

Rudiger,

> From a carrier point of view, reliability in signaling 
> transport is a must. If packets get lost during phases of 
> congestion, the added load on systems having to cope with 
> these losses must be minimised. Congestion frienliness may be 
> helpful. I guess, the lower the layer dealing with the issue, 
> the better. a) therefore is the preferred choice. 
> 
> I didn't say "transport must be TCP". I just listed some 
> requirements. It may be helpful if we first discuss 
> requirements and continue with solutions later. 

Is a soft-state refresh sufficient for reliability, or do you
think guarenteed delivery to be important?

thanks,
John
_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis
_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 09:24:31 -0500

> the rest is optimization, thus optional!

I think that's a good way to put it.  In some cases the
optimizations may belong in the application that's invoking
the signaling (real-time applications that need affirmative
failure responses for call admission/call completion
decisions), in some cases it may belong in the NSLP (which
might provide an API to the higher-layer application), etc.

I tend to think of the problem in the context of real-time
applications, which puts the reliability question into a
slightly different light.  There's a point at which delivery
of the signaling request has no value (extreme example - it
takes 90 seconds to request a reservation and get a
response), and reliable delivery is a disadvantage in those
cases.  

Melinda