Subject: RE: [NSIS] RSVP Question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:00:50 +0300

Hi Xiaoning,

> I have a simple question regard RSVP. Could anyone give me some
> information about this?
> 
> How many RSVP flows a state-of-art router can handle per second
> currently? 

Currently, RSVP is being handled by the Transport Area WG - though
maybe someone on this mailing list has an answer for you.  

Also, I am not sure if it is active, but there is the RSVP-TEST mailing 
list, that may have people who can give you pointers.  Information
on that mailing list is:

[email-masked]

This is for discussion of RSVP implementation issues, reporting of bugs
in implementations, and coordination of interoperability testing.
Individual vendors may choose to use (or continue to use) their own
lists, but I think there would be a lot of benefit in using a common
list for implementation and interoperation discussions.

In particular, please direct (or at least CC:) all messages about the
ISI implementation to [email-masked], not to the main rsvp mailing list.

This new list is currenly unpopulated. If you are interested in
RSVP implementation issues and want to join this list, send a message to
[email-masked] with:

subscribe rsvp-test

br,
John
_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: "Xiaoning He" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 10:30:27 -0700

Hi John and all

Thank you for the information. 

I just somehow had an impression that from SF IETF, in the nsis meeting,
someone mentioned that the current router can easily support thousands
of RSVP flows now so that the scalability issue is no longer a real
concern to RSVP. Just want to confirm that. 

Thanks,

Xiaoning

-----------------------------
 
Xiaoning He, Ph.D
Research Engineer
 
NTT-DoCoMo USA Labs
181 Metro Drive, Suite 300
San Jose, CA 95110
 
Email: [email-masked]
Phone: +1 (408) 451-4737
Fax:   +1 (408) 573-1090

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 3:01 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [NSIS] RSVP Question

Hi Xiaoning,

[email-masked]

In particular, please direct (or at least CC:) all messages about the
ISI implementation to [email-masked], not to the main rsvp mailing
list.

subscribe rsvp-test

br,
John

---

From: Ping Pan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 00:21:00 -0700

I said that in SF. :-)

MPLS routers today can support thousands of LSP's (RSVP sessions) so 
long as those LSP's don't change too often. The reason for this is 
mainly due to the fact that the LSP's are pretty static by design.

But as soon as you start to consider of using RSVP to manage 
short-duration sessions (like telephone calls), router performance is 
likely to dip.

Here is some ancient work I had done: 
http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~pingpan/projects/yessir.html
You may find some measurement numbers on an ancient IBM router... 
(actually the modern router's CPU is not that much better than I had 
played with in IBM. :-()

Hope this will help.

- Ping

P.S.: Scalability is a term that has been used in vain by many. So 
let's be careful with the definition of scalability. :-)