Subject: [NSIS] attempted summary of fragmentation discussion

From: "Hancock, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:21:26 +0100

dear all,

in attempting to summarise where we are so far, this is what i think the
situation is:

1) no-one really likes relying on IP fragmentation
2) no-one wants to force all responsibility into the NSLPs
3) everyone [almost?] is happy with the NTLP doing fragmentation as a
default
4) there is a proposal to make it possible to signal the NTLP not to do
fragmentation and have the NSLP do it (in some still-to-be-defined way)

personally, i fail to see the benefit of (4) over (3), which may be a
symptom of a deeper problem (with me or the proposal).

however, i believe it is not ruled out even if we used as an initial
position:
*) make the NTLP do fragmentation when it is needed; ideally, do it in such
a way that reassembly is only needed at the receiving NSLP.

in later stages of the protocol work, and after some experience with
applications, we could presumably "enhance" the NTLP in the direction of
option 4, i.e. give it the ability not to do fragmentation as well. after
all, this would appear to be an intrinsically backwards compatible
extension.

have i missed anything?

robert h.
_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: "Georgios Karagiannis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 13:36:57 +0200

Hi Robert

Please combine (3) and (4) in a more strict way!

Best regards,
Georgios

---

From: "Thanh Tra LUU" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:17:24 +0200

Hi Georgios,

I think NSLP/NTLP must be well-designed because they would be the generic
signaling protocols and what we do now will get important consequences in
the future. But it does not mean we permit these protocols to do all
possibilities. If they're too complicated and too heavy, no one uses it. A
day when someone apply these protocols, they know how to use the functions
of these protocols for their purposes.

Regards.

Nary Tra
ENST, Paris

---

From: Marcus Brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:44:55 +0200

Georgios is trying to do exactly try to reduce the complexity.
Marcus

--On Donnerstag, 12. Juni 2003 14:17 +0200 Thanh Tra LUU <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

>> > in attempting to summarise where we are so far, this is what i think
>> > the situation is:
>> >
>> > applications, we could presumably "enhance" the NTLP in the direction
>> > of option 4, i.e. give it the ability not to do fragmentation as well.
> after

--------------------------------------
Dr. Marcus Brunner
Network Laboratories
NEC Europe Ltd.

E-Mail: [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.ccrle.nec.de/
Phone: +49 (0) 6221 905 11 29
Mobile: +49 (0) 163 275 17 43
personal home page: http://www.brubers.org/marcus