Subject: [NSIS] How to move forward on the Fragmentation issue

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:28:07 +0300

Hi all,

First off, let's stick to fragmentation.  Message bundling is another
topic.

My feeling is:

1) Fragmentation is handled by the NTLP layer.
2) Fragmentation is implemented at the NTLP layer.

I get the feeling that some people are thinking, but not stating,
that some applications may not care about fragmentation.  They want
to be able to turn on a don't fragment bit.  If a message has to
be fragmented, an error message would be generated.  

One thing that I do not see is how a NSLP layer would perform
PMTU discovery - or at least how an NSLP would learn the PMTU,
but maybe someone could tell me.

John
_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Marcus Brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:55:37 +0200

> be fragmented, an error message would be generated.

Its not that the application does not care, but some are afraid of adding 
functionality to a common part. But it boiles down to the estimation of 
cost  of the feature.

> but maybe someone could tell me.

try and error ;-)

Marcus

--------------------------------------
Dr. Marcus Brunner
Network Laboratories
NEC Europe Ltd.

E-Mail: [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.ccrle.nec.de/
Phone: +49 (0) 6221 905 11 29
Mobile: +49 (0) 163 275 17 43
personal home page: http://www.brubers.org/marcus