Subject: [NSIS] aggregation and the framework (was RE: Reliable Transport for NTL P)

From: "Hancock, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:27:51 +0100

brief comment,

> Backbone load reduction is a "SHOULD" in the requirements, 
> pointing to 
> the framework for details. I was not able to clearly identify 
> them. I'm 
> concerned that NSIS is focused too much on end-system based 
> signaling and 
> might fail on the edge to edge part.  

<fw editor hat on>

I think that's the only place in the requirements where there
is that type of forward reference to the framework, and it is
probably inappropriate there. Probably 'The framework...' -->
'A signalling solution...' or something would be more apt.
(Marcus?)

The framework currently contains almost nothing on aggregation;
that's partly because it seems to be mainly signalling-application
specific, but that should be discussed (probably somewhere in 3.3). 
The main impact on the framework fundamentals would be on the 
message routing front, where the discussion at the end of 3.2.1
needs to be broadened to cover 3175-style processing.

</hat>

[In our qos-nslp work we cared about aggregation a lot.]

I have a more substantive comment on the reliability front, which
I'll save for later.

cheers,

r.

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: "Geib, Ruediger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:46:54 +0200

Robert,

|[In our qos-nslp work we cared about aggregation a lot.]

Yes, your draft offers two solutions, and I think that 
also the westberg draft specifies signaling aggregation. 

Regards, Rüdiger

---

From: "Geib, Ruediger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:54:17 +0200

Robert,

|The framework currently contains almost nothing on aggregation;
|that's partly because it seems to be mainly signalling-application
|specific, but that should be discussed (probably somewhere in 3.3). 

I agree that aggregation isn't a general requirement. 

Regards, Rüdiger