Subject: Re: [NSIS] LIH (was: ntlp drafts differences)

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:05:33 -0700 (PDT)

I think your analysis is not quite right, but your conclusion seems to
be correct.

Assume pure unicast.

When the NSIS equivalent to an upstream RESV message arrives, how does
the NSIS program figure out which outgoing interface should have the
reservation?  Matching the path state does not help, because path state
is bound to incoming interfaces, not outgoing interfaces.  But the NSIS
program can make the proper assignment by consulting routing -- what
interface will data packets for this session be sent out?  Bind the
reservation to that interface.  So, the LIH is not logically necessary.

(OTOH, the LIH is an awfully cheap way to avoid this routing lookup in
the NSIS daemon!).

That's the way it seems to me.

Bob Braden

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:19:40 -0400

One question for clarification:

How would do you find out the LIH in the first place, without consulting 
the routing table?