Subject: [NSIS] NSLP design draft: way forward

From: "Sven Van den Bosch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:09:23 +0200

Hi all,

During the NSIS meeting this week, it was decided to work towards a joint 
NSLP draft. The editing team consists of one representative of the author 
team of each individual NSLP contribution. This mail outlines the way in 
which we intend to proceed.
The main purpose of the draft is the core NSLP design. The draft may also 
identify the need for other documents describing e.g. MIB, operational 
practices and /or bearer service definition. The currently proposed plan is 
agreed between the editors and the chair and may be updated at each IETF 
meeting.
The intention is to have a -00 version by mid september and a -01 version by 
the next IETF meeting (Minneapolis).
The -00 version would be an open, high-level document inviting comments from 
the group. It would contain a basic outline of operation, suggestions for 
additional documentation, potentially additional NTLP requirements and IANA 
considerations related to protocol extensibility (way of creating new 
objects) and QoS models (what makes up a QoS model, how is this reflected in 
standards procedure and can we map RSVP to it as an example).  It would also 
contain a section describing security and AAA interactions mainly focused on 
the parties involved in the authorization decision and where it is invoked 
requirements on AAA object). The (many) open issues will be captured in a 
separate The purpose of the -01 version would be two-fold. On the one hand, 
more protocol issues will be discussed (examples include S/R operation and 
reduced state operation). On the other hand, the existing protocol basics 
will be worked out in more detail (message flows, high-level message 
formats).
Later versions of the document will will contain additional functionality 
including aggregation, tunnel management, bidirectional/proxy operation and 
priority/preemption
We welcome inputs from the group. For this purpose, open conference calls 
will be organized for which a number of lines will be available for 
interested parties. An agenda of discussion points will be circulated 
beforehand.

Best regards,
Sven

_________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: "Rute C. Sofia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:23:28 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Sven,

first of all, the plan you described seems a quite good and complete one.

> standards procedure and can we map RSVP to it as an example).  It would also

I believe that by "QoS model", you mean something as "signaling model",
right? If you do mean QoS model, I'm a bit confused on how it fits in
the draft...

If you mean "signaling model", then possibly it would make sense to
address definitions of "QoS profile" and "QoS item".
Also, not sure if RSVP should really be used as an example in the draft.
Current signaling proposals have been addressed in the analysis draft.
RSVP is quite covered there...

> including aggregation, tunnel management, bidirectional/proxy operation and

Another thing that would probably make sense in addressing (open issues,
later draft versions) is a possible criteria for characterizing a
proposal, e.g., scalability, complexity, adaptability, and so on...

Rute