Subject: RE: [NSIS] Reliable Transport for NTLP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 05:30:16 +0300

Hi Robert,

> However, even if we agree that a signalling application
> needing reliability needs it between (say) adjacent NSLP
> peers rather than simply end-to-end, there is still the 
> question of which layer it should be provided at (NTLP
> or within each application).

The question could be put another another way, can a NSLP 
'reliably' rely on a multi-hop NTLP providing reliability?
Will an NSLP need to augment NTLP-layer reliability with
reliability at the NSLP layer (such as explicit acks, 
retransmission timers, etc)?

John

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 20:23:21 -0400

I see these as complementary. End-to-end reliability is good for dealing 
with node failures, for example, which are relatively rare and have 
longer time constants for discovery. In many cases, softstate 
'reliability' (on the order of 30s) should do the trick there.