Subject: [NSIS] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nsis-fw-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:38:13 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Next Steps in Signaling Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Next Steps in Signaling: Framework
	Author(s)	: R. Hancock et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-nsis-fw-04.txt
	Pages		: 47
	Date		: 2003-9-29
	
The Next Steps in Signaling working group is considering protocols 
for signaling information about a data flow along its path in the 
network. Based on existing work on signaling requirements, this 
document proposes an architectural framework for such signaling 
protocols. 
This document provides a model for the network entities that take 
part in such signaling, and the relationship between signaling and 
the rest of network operation. We decompose the overall signaling 
protocol suite into a generic (lower) layer, with a separate upper 
layers for each specific signaling application. An initial proposal 
for the split between these layers is given, describing the overall 
functionality of the lower layer, and discussing the ways that upper 
layer behavior can be adapted to specific signaling application 
requirements. 
This framework also considers the general interactions between 
signaling and other network layer functions, specifically routing and 
mobility. The different routing and mobility events that impact 
signaling operation are described, along with how their handling 
should be divided between the generic and application-specific 
layers. Finally, an example signaling application (for Quality of 
Service) is described in more detail.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nsis-fw-04.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-nsis-fw-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nsis-fw-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.