Subject: [NSIS] QoS - NATFW Comparison

From: Tschofenig Hannes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:04:30 +0100

Hi all,

i compared the content of the QoS and the NATFW document to see where they
differ and where not. Here is my conclusion:

In the NATFW document we cannot find the following issues:

- Sending a Query: We had some discussion about the usefulness of a query
message but we decided that we don't need one. In QoS signaling it has a
different meaning and more expressiveness. 
- Use of Local QoS Models: For NATFW signaling we couldn't find something
similar. 
- Reduced State Interior Nodes: Same as above.
- Session binding: So far we couldn't find use for this functionality. 
- Layering: Might not be applicable in the NATFW case. 

I furthermore found the following difference between the QoS and the NATFW
document:

- Signaling message handling: In the QoS NSLP a reserve message optionally
creates a RESPONSE. In NATFW signaling a response message is always created.

The NATFW document should add the following topics from the QoS (or from a
related) document:

- Message scoping: Although this issue is not covered in detail in the QoS
document it should certainly be added to the NATFW document. 
- State timers: Both protocols use the soft-state principle and should
therefore use similar mechanisms for refresh message handling. It is,
however, not quite clear whether the NATFW document should also use
peer-to-peer refresh messages. This issue is for further study.
- Priority: There are two issues here: In concept of preemption for QoS
reservations might not be immediately applicable to NATFW signaling. To have
a higher priority for certain signaling messages might also be an issue for
NATFW. The NSLP itself cannot provide much help except for indicating which
message needs priority based handling. 
- Rerouting / Mobility handling: This issue is applicable to both documents.
A separate ID was written to analyse mobility issues. 
- State storage: This section in the QoS NSLP draft only serves
informational purposes. Still it would be useful to have such a section in
the NATFW document. 

ciao
hannes

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis