Subject: RE: [NSIS] remove packet_classifier object from QoS-NSLP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:46:57 +0300

whether this data should be in the qos-nslp or qspec is less 
clear to me. the concept in my head has always been that the 
qos-nslp carried everything about *what* resource reservation 
action you wanted to carry out, and the qspec was about how 
much "stuff" you actually wanted to reserve. the packet classifier 
needs to be given in every message about a transaction, whereas 
the "how much" information only in some; and the classifier can 
probably be universal, whereas the qspec need not be. I don't 
see why having it in the qos-nslp is hard.  
 
This is where I thought we left it after the interim meeting. I guess
if we remove it, I'd like to have some more reasoning behind the
removal.
 
John 

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: "Georgios Karagiannis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:27:38 +0200

Hi John

I do not have any problem on including this object in the QSPEC.

Please note that the packet classifier functionality is strict
associated with a QoS model. A PACKET_CLASSIFIER object specifies which
filter should be used by the packet classifier functionlaity on
filtering the user data packets.
Suppose now that for the same session two qos models are used, one that
goes end-to-end and the other one that goes edge to edge within a
domain. Note that this is the case when stacking of QSPEC's is used.
If the PACKET_CLASSIFIER object is a QOS-NSLP object, which filter
information should this object contain, the filter information required
by the end-to-end QoS model or the edge-to-edge QoS model?

In this case this problem can be solved by making the PACKET_CLASSIFIER 
object in  the
stackable!
Do we want this?

Another solution is to introduce the PACKET_CLASSIFIER object into the 
QSPEC.

Best regards,
Georgios

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; 
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 12:46 PM
Subject: RE: [NSIS] remove packet_classifier object from QoS-NSLP