Subject: [NSIS] Query & Diagnosis Capabilities in NATFW NSLP

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:20:31 +0200

Dear all,

Draft -07 of the NATFW NSLP describes a query and diagnosis capability in
Section 3.3.6. These capabilities have been in the draft for while but no
real usage scenarios have been described so far (see issue 30 in the
tracker <https://kobe.netlab.nec.de/roundup/nsis-natfw-nslp/issue30>).

The general feeling of the WG about these query and diagnosis capabilities
were quite mixed (as expressed during the last interim in Munich). Since
then I have not received any further comments about this issue.

Personally, I do not see any good use cases for such a capability in the
NATFW NSLP and I'm in favour of removing it completely.

I'm soliciting the WG to give feedback on this issue, whether it is
considered a useful feature or not. If you consider it a useful feature,
you should give some use cases.

Thanks in advance,

   Martin

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:08:47 +0300

Hi Martin,

>Draft -07 of the NATFW NSLP describes a query and diagnosis 
>capability in Section 3.3.6. These capabilities have been in 
>the draft for while but no real usage scenarios have been 
>described so far (see issue 30 in the tracker 
><https://kobe.netlab.nec.de/roundup/nsis-natfw-nslp/issue30>).
>
>The general feeling of the WG about these query and diagnosis 
>capabilities were quite mixed (as expressed during the last 
>interim in Munich). Since then I have not received any further 
>comments about this issue.
>
>Personally, I do not see any good use cases for such a 
>capability in the NATFW NSLP and I'm in favour of removing it 
>completely.
>
>I'm soliciting the WG to give feedback on this issue, whether 
>it is considered a useful feature or not. If you consider it a 
>useful feature, you should give some use cases.

I am leaning towards dropping this feature.  I think that this is
extra functionality without defined use - this will make the
implementatino & usage more difficult.

John

---

From: "Hancock, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 22:57:56 +0100

hi all,

IIRC there were two aspects of this topic discussed at the
interim:

a) the availability of the diagnosis/query features in the
first place, and

b) the use of them to build some procedures for recovery from
certain error/restart scenarios

I don't recall much discussion of (a). I recall significant
objections to (b) (indeed, I think I made several of them)
because they seemed rather complicated and fragile.
But that doesn't mean that the facilities themselves are
not useful for - well - diagnosis (for which it's hard to
build reasonable scenarios other than "something went wrong
and I'd like to work out what").

It is possible to go overboard on diagnostics but I don't
think we're there yet.

r.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of [email-masked]
> Sent: 14 October 2005 08:09
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [NSIS] Query & Diagnosis Capabilities in NATFW NSLP
> 
> 
> Hi Martin,
>