Subject: [NSIS] GIST: Switching to C-Mode after setup on behalf of the responder node

From: Thomas Herzog <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 10:44:08 +0100

Hi, together,

I find it very hard to install a Messaging Association on behalf of the 
responder node, when there is currently only D-Mode set up for the 
connection.

On the QN side, the QN can do so by using a refresh cycle and asking for stack 
proposal and switching to C-Mode by initiating a MA with the confirm.

On the RN side, GIST will get a SendMessage call from a NSLP (which needs 
C-Mode), find Routing State and finds out that it has only D-Mode available.

What to do now, as a Refresh cycle cannot be initiated from the RN.

A new Handshake initiated from the RN would also be quite problematic, as the 
QN is in some state of its QN-SM, thus it will not respond to queries for the 
already installed state (and will not transit into Responder Role).

What to do in that case?

It is thinkable, that such a case happens, imagine a Responding NSLP not 
requiring C-Mode (as it knows, the connection is set up 
'unreliable'/'insecure'), but maybe it wants to transmit a large amount of 
data which cannot be sent in D-Mode.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to include a new rule in QN-SM in State 
"established" to kill all state and start RN-SM if a GIST query arrives for 
the state?

Thus a RN may "upgrade" the connection properties by initiating a new 
handshake, starting QN-SM and the "roles" would be swapped?

Cheers, Thomas

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis